Help! Buff Orpington - ROO'S I'm guessing?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by urbanchickmom, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Hey all! I've lurked the BYC site for months now, trying to learn all I can in order to start my own small (urban) backyard flock.
    I purchased 6 BO's and 1 EE from a local store the 1st week in February. They are all now 5 weeks old, and I suspect my rather cantankerous chicken, Laverne, is probably just a Vern. Her comb is much bigger than the other girls and her waddles are turning pink. The part that threw me, was while her comb is bigger, it is exactly the same color as the other girls - no red to be seen. Not sure if that makes a difference as I am still so new to this :)

Any info/observations would be great. Thank you all!!! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  2. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    I'd say "Yes" by comb size.... but more feathers are needed to positively identify.

3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like a little cockerel to me [​IMG]

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    I agree with HeartMoss Farm.

5. Thanks, guys. That's what I was thinking. [​IMG] He is much feistier than the others - and his feathers are completely different (i.e - not as smooth or uniform looking or feeling no have they come in as fast.)

6. daniel rainey

daniel rainey Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    yea id say your right. ts a buff o roo

7. Here's another one of the BO girls that I now suspect may be a roo as well.... opinions on this little one??
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Amy PT

Amy PT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2012
    Michigan
  9. Ahhh, you understand my pain! Both my BO's that I question the sex of remind me so much of yours. Unfortunately, we don't live in a Rooster friendly city, so I'd better get something lined up for these fellas. Such a bummer - they are 2 of my favorites :(

10. Amy PT

Amy PT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2012
    Michigan
    Oh, I do understand, I'm sorry you're there. Our Penny is now at a farm and has 20+ hens. He is very happy. He was my favorite, and I still miss the buff color alongside our black australorp and silver laced wyandotte. But, his physical space in the coop is being replaced this year with some bantams (fingers crossed at least 1 of 3 is a hen).

Good luck. I hope their wattles and combs don't grow anymore and stay away from red for a long, long time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by