Help Bugs on Adopted Turkey and a Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by banana-jana, Aug 26, 2013.

1. banana-jana

banana-jana Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2012
    We adopted a white turkey in bad shape. Did not notice she had these red/brown bugs on her head. Now my little duck has them around her eyes. Please any help. I do not want to hurt them by putting poison on them. I live in a small town, but we do have a feed store. They look like they are attached to the skin?? Like ants or skinny fleas?? HELP

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Here is someone probably with the same problem https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/818535/ticks-under-eye#post_11897179

When my chickens had mites I used Epernix Pour on because it said no egg withdrawl I felt it would be safer than some of the other products out there, I put drops on the skin at base of neck where the shoulders start[well if they had shoulders] anyway it worked. [​IMG]

3. banana-jana

Sep 24, 2012
    Ok, so it is mites??

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sounds like it might be mites here is some info, you can also use poultry dust but it's very dusty and I don't like using it, and would be difficult to use around the face.

http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8162.pdf

5. banana-jana

Sep 24, 2012
    This is so gross, my poor little duck, she has brown around both eyes, and it is the bugs. OMG please tell me these will not get on people??

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They may get on you, they got on me but they don't bite us and a good head washing in reg shampoo and soap on the body takes care of them. You might want to try this on your duck do you have dawn dish washing detergent/ or baby shampoo or you might try making up a bath with some Apple cider vinegar in it and just soak the duck real good,. rinsing over the head so the water with ACV is going down over the head this may get them off too. But I used Epernix pour on just like dog front line. But other things I rec. would be just to try and get them off asap.you'll want to get something to treat your coop too poultry dust works or some kind of spray I use Neem Oil and warm water and spray all the roost, and cracks and crevises in my houses and coops. Mites are nothing to cause a health issue with humans but they can make out flock anemic so they need to be taken care of quickly, and the poor Turkey if already run down from not being taken care of is going to need so extra special help to get over this. Protein to help build blood back up for one thing. Do they eat bugs? i'm thinking they do so get some dried meal worms and start giving them along with her feed the ducks will love them too, they are a great source of protein and will help get them both back on track once you get rid of the mites.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  7. banana-jana

Sep 24, 2012
    Thank you, yes the turkey is in bad shape, we got her and a male, he did not make it. They had been fed junk and were very heavy and their legs are all bowed and weird. Elvis already passed, Pricilla is the one with the bugs. I will try the dawn and cider vinegar as soon as I find a hazmat suit..lol Thank you again.
    Jana

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Post back how it goes.. sure hope you can help the turkey.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by