1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! BUGS!!!!! What are they and how do I get rid of them??? PIC***

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by koakritters, Dec 10, 2011.

1. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    I gave my little rooster with the scissor beak a bath today since I'd seen some bugs on him. Some bugs turned into HUNDREDS of them!!! I felt so bad...i guess he can't get them off by himself which i never even thought of. [​IMG] I got almost all of them off i think, but there's still some live ones on his head that I can't wash off, the rest of him i was able to drown them all by holding him under water in my bath tub, but I can't do that with his head.

[​IMG]

I'm heading to the feedstore as soon as i get him dried off, what are they and what can i get to get rid of them?!?!?!?!

2. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

sevin dust will do the trick, looks like a mite or lice to me...

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Can't tell, they look like lice...

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I don't know exactly what they are. I'm guessing mites. Some folks use Sevin dust. Chances are all your chickens have them. You may wanna provide a large shallow container of a mixture of things (Sevin, soil, pine shavings, etc). And let your flock dust bathe. Your coop may also be infested. I do wish you good luck.[​IMG]

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I bite at applying dust - get more on myself than the bird. So I like Adams Flea/Tick Spray. And because it's a spray, it's easy to cover the face area when applying it. And you can spray some on your fingers to work in around around the head....(just don't get it in the eyes). I'd do a bedding clean out too, and mix some powder in the new stuff...

6. koakritters

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    thanks. At least if i kinda know what they might be, the feedstore people should be able to help... with the spray- is it specifically for chickens or could you use dog or cat flea spray?

7. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Quote:hi [​IMG] [​IMG] Adams is great for most animals and can be used on dogs and cats and their bedding! [​IMG] [​IMG] Down here you can find it in the local grocery stores!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  8. koakritters

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    i got this spray called MannaPro Poultry Protector, supposed to get rid of mites lice fleas and ticks, but it doesn't say anything about their eggs and i found dozens of clusters of white eggs all over him while spraying him! The live ones I found that I sprayed died instantly, do you think it'll kill the eggs too??? And I can't seem to get all the dead ones off him, but at least they are dead... my poor baby boy.

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

10. koakritters

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    thanks. those are definitely lice eggs... it didn't say anyhting about being able to kill the eggs, So i guess i'm just going to have to plan on weekly baths and spray downs for a while, but he must be feeling better with the majority of them off his body!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by