Help, building a coop

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LearnAsIGo, Mar 20, 2013.

1. LearnAsIGo

LearnAsIGo New Egg

Mar 20, 2013
    Hello, I'm David. Before I continue let me mention I'm currently 18, I'm from Illinois and recently decided to get chickens. I've decided on Rhode Island Reds because my research shows that they are great for beginners, are fairly quiet and will adjust well to confined space. The number of hens can vary from 4-6 with no intention of a rooster. It needs to be fixed in one spot with an enclosed run. What I would like help with is designing a coop that will be cost effective, withstand Illinois winters and be comfortable for the hens. If you have a design or know a link feel free to message me. Also, any advice pertaining to Rhode Island Reds or general care would be appreciated.
    Thank you for taking the time to read this.
    (No budget has been established yet but I would like to keep it under $400 if possible. If not, so be it)

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Head for the coops forum at top of page, a lot of people on here build their own coops and re-purpose materials or get some from Habitat stores, etc. It doesn't have to be glamorous
    chickens aren't fussy. I would advise good insulation if you are in the northern 1/3 of the state.

1 person likes this.
  3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, David, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! I concur with drumstick and sumi. Good luck and have fun with your project and with your chickens!!

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by