Help building a duck pen

Eva454

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2015
I have 3week old and 4 week old pekin ducks right know in a large coop in the barn under a heat lamp. Then i have 3 one year old drakes and a one year old drake kaki cambell which i had to seperate because the adult pekins are attacking him. They are in a 10by 10 kennel. When the ducklings are 6 weeks i want them all to be together with the adults. So this weekend we are building a pen out in the field that has a large natural pond. My question is how big do i need for 11 ducks. We plan on puting two 10 by 10 kennels together and put a roof on it so that will be there lock up pen at night. The rest of the day enclosure will be built around pond and up on land and will be msde out of chainlink and wood skids. Any suggestions on how big i should make it? We have coyotes, wolves and fishers i have seen recently walking my three dogs so we have predators. Its a big project but would like to getit done this weekend. Im hoping the ducklings at 6 weeks will be alright with the adults but if not i will have to seperate them. 4 drakes is alot considering i dont know the sex of the chicks. Any advice is greatly apreciated.

I just built the pen 60 feet by 30 ft of water and about 20 by 50 of land i will be making the land larger another 15ft. There will be 8 ducks in there know

What temp can 9 and 10 week old ducks be in? Right know they are in a barn with a heat lamp. I have a natural pond outside that i built a pen around with a shelter filled with straw. There is no heat lamp as i cant get electricity up there. The coldest temp at night is -7. What age can i put them outside without a heater and what temps can they stand?

Back
Top Bottom