1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help... Building Breeding Pens from Pallets FREE

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DMRippy, Oct 21, 2011.

1. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Ok not completely free, I had to buy some hinges from habitat ($.50 each) and some fencing will be required and screws. But ALL the wood was FREE.

I am not ready to post all the pics of these pens, but I will. I have been taking pics of every stage. I need help from you smart and creative people

[​IMG] I need some ideas on how to close the doorway to the run. It has to be cheap or free (like out of pallet wood) I have thought about a door to pull up but that would rot too quickly from holding water. I have not seen too many doors and don't know how most of them work. I have not needed one before, but these are going to just be fenced and my others are roofed runs. These are also going to be harder to get into so I thought I needed something to trap them in with to catch them and it will keep the cold out in a few months too.

This is the Coop part. There will be a 10ft runs in front of each coop 4 ft tall. Makes it hard to get to the door to close each one. I am a visual person so pics of ideas or drawings would be great!

[​IMG]

If you need more info let me know.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    JUST PULL UP AND TIE POP DOOR. [​IMG]

3. DMRippy

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Quote:I may have to do something like that but I couldn't do that with wood in this case it would warp and rot quickly.

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Mine is set up with sides that are 2 wood fir shim strips. 1st 1" wide 2nd 1 1/2" wide with a slide up pop door and after it gets done put a sealant like Thompson water seal or use plexiglass. I thought at 1 time doggie doors but you have 25 doors to fit ... big bucks!!

5. DMRippy

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Quote:Only 10.... so far. Still big bucks!!! I cant figure out how to pull them straight up, only at a 90 deg angle like a coop we have that has a roof.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by