HELP!!! Bully chicks here!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KatlynM, Apr 10, 2017.

1. KatlynM

KatlynM New Egg

Mar 3, 2017
    I just got my first chicks on Friday, and they were doing great until I added 4 more today. I have a total of 9 chicks. Two of my new ones today are barred rocks, and they are picking on all my other chicks. My 2 Sussex and 2 americanas all got both eyes pecked and I had to doctor them, and my 3 buff orpingtons were being dragged by there necks and wings even though they are much bigger than the barred rocks. I seperated them for now, and as soon as I did the Barrera started fighting each other. Should I just get rid of them?

2. Kcschickies

Kcschickies Just Hatched

Mar 26, 2017
    One problem could be that they are too crowded. What do you have them in?

3. KatlynM

KatlynM New Egg

Mar 3, 2017
    I have them in a large tote about the size as the metal tubs thathey keep over a hundred in at my local stores. There was enough room to put a separate box in the brooder for the barred rocks. All my other chicks were huddled in the corner hiding from them. One minute the barred rocks would be walking around scratching and eating then they would just charge them.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You likely have a couple of aggressive chicks whose temperament is that way due to breeding. It's all the more important to have adequate room in the brooder. (A square foot per chick) Bright light also triggers aggression. Mute if with a red bulb or dark cloth if you can.

You may also get results by applying aversion therapy. You need to set up watch for intervals over the next couple days. Thump the aggressive chicks with a finger when you see them behaving aggressively.

If you read my article on aggressive chicks linked below, you will see some other tips on preventing this behavior.

5. KatlynM

KatlynM New Egg

Mar 3, 2017
    Thank you for your help I will try the aversion treatment.

6. KatlynM

KatlynM New Egg

Mar 3, 2017
    Well I ended up rehoming the two barred rocks. Nothing worked to stop them from being bullies. My neighbor had some older chicks that she thought would do fine with the two barreds, but even though her chicks were three weeks older the barreds even bullied them. She has them by themselves now, and the rest of my chicks are getting along great.

7. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Good for you Kaylyn!! you did the right thing .
    Karen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by