HELP!!! Bumblefoot surgery isn't WORKING and my hen is hurting!

Kasia

Songster
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
New Orleans
My hen Sylvia has bad bumblefoot and I decided to try and take care of it myself. I cleaned her foot off and got everything ready and then I couldn't cut her with the scalpel without throwing up and passing out. So my husband did the cut between her toes and it bled more than I expected and I managed to get out a corn sized piece of that white crap but couldn't work any of the stuff from the bottom of her foot through the hole between her toes. So again, I turned away and my husband cut the bottom of her food which bled considerably. She's crying every time I squeeze her foot so I had him cut yet anoter part so she has a V on her foot and I STILL can't get the stuff out!!! I feel like crap, I hurt my poor Sylvia and for nothing! What am I doing wrong? I think I'll have to end up bringing her in for surgery to get it out because I can't keep digging while she's trying to pull and away and she's in obvious pain. How do I get this stuff out quickly???

DSCN3761.jpg

DSCN3762.jpg

For the one between the toes you'll need to dig it all out. There shouldn't be anything there but skin so from the looks of the pics there still "stuff" in there that you will need to dig out till just a flap of skin is left.

As mentioned on the bumblefoot thread, you only needed to cut into the pad if there was a black scab on the bottom of the pad and/or the pad was also swollen. If it was only between her toes, I posted to cut from the top of the swelling (from the top of toe) and dig it out from the top. You can't get to the "junk" that is in the swollen part between her toes by working from the pad.

From the pic, I don't see anything wrong with the pad and I think you posted there wasn't a scab. At this point, it should be o.k. , just apply regular Neosporin and vet wrap it for a couple of days - BUT - you, or DH, have to fully clean out that swollen part between her toes.

Back
Top Bottom