Help buying chicks @3 months old

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mispollitos, Jan 26, 2011.

1. mispollitos

mispollitos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    $4.98 for a hen that's 1/2 grown...not a pure bread but a good laying hen...is that a good price, expensive or about right? I paid $1.66 for my 1-2 week old chicks...which turned out to be Het. roos...anyway, I live in Mexico and need a little help please :eek:)

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I read on BYC recently that someone (I forget who) calculated that they were spending around $7 in feed to raise a chick to laying age.

3. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Yes thats a good price,buy em while you can spring is almost here and prices go up fast.

4. mispollitos

Sep 30, 2010
    it's spring like all year where i live.

Well, if it costs $7 to raise a full grown hen, I'll take that into account. My neighbor offered me a "fine" hen, used to breed cock fighting roosters...he's got quite a set up in his yard, for about $50! Paying $5 for a laying hen should be a bargain!

5. mispollitos

Sep 30, 2010
    according to this site advertising, 3 laying hens at 12 weeks/pure breed are $130! $43 each! So, I'd say $5 for a good no name laying hen is awesome, no???[​IMG]

I'm going to look at them today and was told they are red hens. The chicks have a little black feathers in them but when they are full grown, they're all red.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by