help!!! calling all experts and people to help me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pefferlawchicken, Apr 4, 2009.

1. pefferlawchicken

pefferlawchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    ok somthing is going very wrong !!! last hatch i got 0 chicks only 1 developed and it died full grown with yolk , went to a new supplie and got 2 eggs , today was day 21 , both dead , so i have another batch that is on day 17 and they are alive and im going to get these ones to hatch all these deaths are really hurting me , we already started the coop and everything , so tell me what do to from day 17!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13 eggs in a still incubator temp 101F but they feel hot to the touch

humidity 45 - 55 %

turned 3 times a day
    still air incubator -- brower model 11400-3

please help me i beg of you [​IMG][​IMG]

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

i would lower the humidity to around 30 or 35 for the first 18 days. sounds a little high.

3. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Are you sure your thermometer is correct? If it's even a couple of degrees warmer than what it's reading can make a BIG difference in your hatch....

4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    it is day 17, a bit late to lower the hum%

I would let the hum% go down and then when you see actual pips, raise the hum% ... I shoot for 60% at this point.. once they pip and are alive, they should not drown..

anybody else?? what do you think??

5. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I think that on the next hatch you should get another thermometer so you can check accuracy of your thermostat.

I keep my Hum at 35 until day 18 and them up to 50. Seems like after they start hatching the hum goes up from all the liquid in the eggs etc.

I have been told that Humidity is a difficult thing to gauge as it should be higher in some climates and lower in other ? [​IMG]

If your on day 17 you will want to stop turning on the 18 day so they can position themselves up to pip. Some people believe putting them in egg cartons small end down helps them pip on the right end.

Good luck [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2009
  6. pefferlawchicken

pefferlawchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    thats the problem i have 2 thermometers and they read different things , what should the temp be at , i hear that the generate heat on like day 18 so to lower it is that true?

7. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I run mine between 99.5 and 100. I have never heard to lower the temp for hatching.

8. CloggingChicken

CloggingChicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Hendersonville, NC
    We have hatched two different species in the last two months, Quail and Chicks. The first batch we had two thermometers and neither agreed. We used a circulation type bator, so we brought in a third digital which agreed with one of the alcohols. The third is likely the only way that you will be able to judge the correct temp. The correct temp is 99.5-100 and we panicked when it crept up to 101. We sloooowly brought it down by adjustment of the thermostat and opening the thing only to turn the eggs. We had 24 of 28 eggs develop and hatch out. We didn't monitor the humidity but kept extra water in a jar inside.

The digital also had a humidity gauge so we used it with the second hatch. We maintained the humidity around 60-69% using a couple of small metal cups of water. We ended up hatching 17 of the 19 fertile quail eggs. We used an even 100 for the quail as many people recommended the slightly higher temp for them.

Others in our group hatching eggs didn't add the extra water and saw dramatically lower hatches. They seemed to have about half of their hatch. I would verify your thermometer before assuming it is correct as ours had a difference of 2-3 degrees.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by