Help! Can 1 week old Seabright bantams be integrated with shy 8 wk old Buff Orpington pullet?

ChickenChickie13

Chirping
Mar 20, 2019
So we're brand new to the chicken world. My husband and I have 2 outgoing Saphire Gems, 1 Americana that has quite the personality, and a very shy, timid Buff Orpington. All are 7-8 weeks old. Sugar, our Buff, gets pushed around by the other girls. She spends all her time trying to get away from them, crying the whole time. They are all extremely tame, since I hold them constantly.

3 evenings ago, we ended up leaving TSC with two bantams that I'm almost positive are a Silver Seabright and a tan Seabright. Both seem to be under a week old.

Here's my question: Would it make sense to try and put Sugar with the Seabrights and see if they get along? It's breaking my heart watching Sugar cry and sit alone on the roost while the other 3 girls rough house each other!

01.jpg

05.jpg

08.jpg

02.jpg

04.jpg

I wouldn’t see why not. Maybe you can test it out and if the Seabrights hurt her, you can remove her from them. But I think it’s always good to test the limits without costing them harm. I don’t like it how the other chicks pick on Sugar. And sorry for not the best answer but I’m new to chickens too and it’s my first time raising chickens too. I’m kinda inexperienced with it right now.

So we're brand new to the chicken world. My husband and I have 2 outgoing Saphire Gems, 1 Americana that has quite the personality, and a very shy, timid Buff Orpington. All are 7-8 weeks old. Sugar, our Buff, gets pushed around by the other girls. She spends all her time trying to get away from them, crying the whole time. They are all extremely tame, since I hold them constantly.

3 evenings ago, we ended up leaving TSC with two bantams that I'm almost positive are a Silver Seabright and a tan Seabright. Both seem to be under a week old.

Here's my question: Would it make sense to try and put Sugar with the Seabrights and see if they get along? It's breaking my heart watching Sugar cry and sit alone on the roost while the other 3 girls rough house each other!

View attachment 1740058
View attachment 1740059
View attachment 1740060
View attachment 1740061
View attachment 1740062

It looks like they are way too tiny right now. The size difference is huge. If you are going to put them with her you need to put up some wire, a piece of hardware cloth or something so you can observe them, maybe for a week or so.
Your Buff Orpington won’t feel alone and you can see if they snuggle up together against the wire.

You are setting yourself up for trouble by putting a baby in with an 8 week old pullet. What is the end game? Will all of these chickens eventually live in the same coop or will you house them
separately? Are the 8 week olds living in the coop already? How big is the coop?

You are setting yourself up for trouble by putting a baby in with an 8 week old pullet. What is the end game? Will all of these chickens eventually live in the same coop or will you house them
separately? Are the 8 week olds living in the coop already? How big is the coop?
i dont put my girls in the big coop until they are aleast 15 weeks old...other wise they stay in the grow up coop til they are ready..the other ladies can see them through the wire fence and will let them out to mingle when supervised

It looks like they are way too tiny right now. The size difference is huge. If you are going to put them with her you need to put up some wire, a piece of hardware cloth or something so you can observe them, maybe for a week or so.
Your Buff Orpington won’t feel alone and you can see if they snuggle up together against the wire.

This was pretty much our exact idea! :)

Back
Top Bottom