Help! Can a chicken be eggbound with her first egg?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cleopatra, Nov 28, 2012.

1. cleopatra

cleopatra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    South Texas
    I have a 27 week old campine. She hasn't started laying yet, although her comb has started to develop. She is walking (almost waddling) around slowly with her wings and tail down. When she walks around, her tail kind of pumps up and down. She is sitting down often. Her vent is clean as well as the area around it. I found some firm (not runny) bloody poop for the past two nights. This may be intestinal shedding but I could use some help from you guys determining this. She is eating and drinking well. Her feathers are ruffled along with her wierd posture. She seems alert. I started the whole flock on corid because of the bloody stool and gave her a little olive oil in case of a blockage. Her abdomen isn't firm or extended as far as I can tell, but since I'm new to this, I really don't know. All I know is my sweet little bird hasn't been right for the past two days and I'm quite worried. Any help you guys can give me would be sooooo appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Something is obviously wrong there, and I would suspect egg bound. Have you felt her vent area to see if you can feel an egg? You might want to bring her inside, and give her a warm bath. Just let the lower portion of her sit in the warm water, and this may free things up for her. At any rate, I would seperate her from the flock just in case it is something else. Keep her warm and hydrated. I had a first time layer turn up egg bound with her first egg. The egg passed in the night after bringing her inside, and feeding her electrolytes, and a warm mash of chick grower, boiled egg, and oatmeal, to which I also added a splash of olive oil. Come daylight, she was screaming to go back outside, and there was a HUGE egg in her cage! Good luck, and you might want to post this over in the "emergency" section of the posts.

3. cleopatra

cleopatra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    South Texas
    Thanks for your help. I will try to repost this on the right page.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by