Help! Can a pullet get eggbound with a first egg?

cleopatra

Songster
8 Years
Jun 14, 2012
South Texas
I have a 27 week old campine. She hasn't started laying yet, although her comb has started to develop. She is walking (almost waddling) around slowly with her wings and tail down. When she walks around, her tail kind of pumps up and down. She is sitting down often. Her vent is clean as well as the area around it. I found some firm (not runny) bloody poop for the past two nights. This may be intestinal shedding but I could use some help from you guys determining this. She is eating and drinking well. Her feathers are ruffled along with her wierd posture. She seems alert. I started the whole flock on corid because of the bloody stool and gave her a little olive oil in case of a blockage. Her abdomen isn't firm or extended as far as I can tell, but since I'm new to this, I really don't know. All I know is my sweet little bird hasn't been right for the past two days and I'm quite worried. Any help you guys can give me would be sooooo appreciated.

I can't really help you much but I wanted to post a picture of mine because her crest is much larger than yours. Are you sure she is 27 weeks? Her crest an wattles became much larger and red a week before she started laying.
This is my girl Campine. The picture was taken 2 days prior laying. Is yours is loud? Mine starting being very loud a few days before laying.

I'm positive she's 27 weeks. That's why I'm wondering if it's not something else. Actually, I'm totally confused as to what's wrong with her. Thanks for the pic - she's a pretty girl!

She looks even better today and is acting more spry. We dosed her again with olive oil before bed. She left a nice big pile of oily poo under her stoop from last night and there was no blood in it. Yay! She's eating and drinking and I didn't see her sit down all this afternoon. So, either the olive oil helped, the corid worked, or none of the above. I'll give a full week of corid just in case. Hopefully, she'll continue to get better. Thank you everyone for your help and advice and the picture! It looks like I have a long wait ahead of me before mine's ready to lay, probably spring.
idunno.gif
As long as she's healthy, I don't mind the long wait.

So, I thought I'd leave an update. The day after I last posted her wings were dragging the ground agian and she was resting a lot. We gave her a soak in some epsom salts and the next day she seemed better, but today she's back to dragging her wings. She still hasn't had any bloody droppings since those first two days. Today will be the last day of the corid treatment. She's eating and drinking well. I don't know what's going on with her. Does anyone know how often I can repeat an epsom salt bath? I would like to continue these if it makes her feel better, but don't know how often is okay. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom