Help, can anyone make a gender guess on my 5 week old silkies?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Three4me, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Three4me

Three4me Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2013
    Pacific NW
    A week ago I noticed the buff silkie's comb start changing. It has thickened up and looks raised and lumpy and pink. Does this look like it's going to be a rooster?

The blue silkie is from the same hatch but has always been smaller and the comb does not seem to be changing much.

We live in a residential neighborhood so no roosters allowed. The farm store we got them from will gladly take roosters back though. We are of course getting attached as these are family pets.

Any ideas? Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    and I thought my Naked necked chickens were attractive!!!

3. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

I have no gender guess but I am very surprised the store will take roos back. What do they do with them? Wouldn't that be a huge risk on their part with disease, mites, etc...? I wonder if they dont have someone who takes them "out to supper" ?

4. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    it kinda looks like the roo that I had, I managed to keep in the city for six months. He only crowed between 6:30 and 7am. So I just kept him locked in teh coop during that time. It wasn't until my husband scared him and he crowed that I had to part with him.

5. Three4me

Three4me Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2013
    Pacific NW
    We live in a rural farming community (my house is in a residential neighborhood though so no roosters allowed) I did ask about the possibility of ending up with roosters what our options were and the owner told me he would swap us for a new one and either keep the roo or rehome him. It is a small farm store and they guaranteed they will never end up in the pot. We have already had to take our Bantam Cochin back as it had developed a very large red comb and it became very apparent it was a roo. I would never have given him back if they said there was even a remote possibility that he could have ended up as someone's dinner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by