Help! Can anyone tell me if my 3 or 4 week old pullets Delaware's

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CinnysCluckers, Mar 23, 2015.

1. CinnysCluckers

CinnysCluckers Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2015
    About 3 weeks ago I join the chicken world. We got a few different kinds of pullets at our local farm store, Delaware being one of them. Over the last few weeks I've been comparing my pullets to others, because that's what all new professional chicken owners do... I can't help but question, if whether or not my two Delaware are indeed this breed I thought they were? It seems to me their coloring is a bit off when comparing them to other people pictures of their young pullets. Please Help! Can anyone tell me if my girls are Delaware's? If not Delaware's then what are they??? Here's some pictures of my girls...I[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I'm not certain what they are, but they don't look like Delaware chicks. Their coloring is too dark and they lack the black feathers in the wings that should be showing up if they were Delawares. Hopefully one of the other members can positively ID them for you.

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    They don't look like Delawares to me.

4. CinnysCluckers

Mar 18, 2015
    Oh shucks!!! Thanks for the thoughts, now I know it's not just me. They are quite friendly. Now I am carious to know what kind of breed and egg layer we have. I suspect a Gold Sex-Link???

5. CinnysCluckers

Mar 18, 2015
    Or maybe Rhode Island Reds? New Hampshire....

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They look like probably Production Reds to me.

7. jcabral

jcabral Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2013
    I'm leaning towards red sex links

8. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I can tell you with certainty, having owned Delawares, they are not Delawares, not even close.

I agree they look like Red Sex Links.

Be heartened, that would make them better layers than Delawares, which are a good layer but not a prolific layer like a RSL.

LofMc

9. BrandiMinto

BrandiMinto Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2015
    Gratz, PA
    I have 3 girls identical to yours and thought they were Delaware's as well. All replies to my pics were for red sex links. I was pleasantly surprised. I've been told they are better layers. Very sweet little ladies!

10. CinnysCluckers

Mar 18, 2015
    Thanks guys!! Looks like the farm store miss labeled their chicks. These are really friendly girls and also sprouted the quickest making them the biggest out of all the varieties we picked that day. I did just spot some black in the girls wings last night. I'll post a pic's. I think I may name one NAD for Not A Deleware (pronounced Naude). I think it's safe to say the name fits... Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by