1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!! Can everyone PLEEEASE tell me what gender these chicks are!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lou Stevens, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Lou Stevens

Lou Stevens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2015
    Hi everyone,
    I really need help in sexing my 5 chicks. The breeder I purchased them from said they are 6-8 weeks old, but I think they are younger. She also told me they are all girls, but I'm not convinced (honestly I don't think she knew much at all). She sold me a sick chick so I'm taking it back and if there are any roosters, I'm taking them back too. So I would really love more of your thoughts and opinions on what sex the following chicks are; I have 3 sussex chicks so the first pics are of the 3 individual sussex chicks (2nd pic I think is a roo), then 1 Australorp chick, then the last 3 pics are of a Australorp chick with a strange comb (I'm thinking roo).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    The second one looks like a cockerel. The last one is not an Austrolorp, and could be a cockerel based on the width of the comb. Austrolorps have single combs, yours looks to have a rose comb. Are some younger than the rest? The 1st, 3rd and 4th look like they haven't feathered out much yet.

3. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    I agree, never 2 is definitely a cockerel.... And they look more around 4-6 weeks, pretty fluffy yet.... That last one looks like a cross of some sort, with a rose comb, but not Australorp.... No other combs looking roo yet, though.

4. Lou Stevens

Lou Stevens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2015
    Thanks everyone, yes she told me they are 6 to 8 weeks but I knew that's not right. Some seem younger than the others...what's a rose comb? I think I will return those two for I think they are roosters.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

different comb styles...

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member