Help! Can I cut feathers???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lucysmom002, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I have a black chicken that looks like a Polish but it's not, it's a "C" word bird... anyway
    She has that big crest on her head and she can't see! She flies into walls, falls over cliffs in the yard and she has to stand real tall to see the other chickens!
    Can I trim the feathers around her eyes????

Thanks in advance!

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Yes, just do it carefully so you don't poke her in the eyes. (They squirm.)

3. Lucysmom002

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    yes, I have moved them to see her eyes and she is squirmy. She is such a nice hen and so funny. I just wanted to be sure I can't hurt her by cutting the feathers. I will be very careful and get my husband's help.
    It just seems like she can't see!

4. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    same as a haircut.

5. Lucysmom002

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    OK! Thanks![​IMG]

6. Rose66

Rose66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Alabama
    I have some 10 week old polish hens who all have trouble seeing due to their beautiful large crests. I want to trim their crest feathers but have questions first. Do I cut the feathers all the way at the base or only 1/2 the way down or what? Will the feathers bleed at all? How soon will the feathers grow back? Do I need a special kind of scissor or can I just use regular household ones? Maybe the bandage type scissors would be good since they have a blunt bottom blade???

Thanks!

7. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    It is only when the feathers first come back in after a molt (or trauma) that they can bleed, during this time they look like porcupine quills rather than feathers, and are called "blood feathers". Once the feathers are fully formed they don't bleed and you can cut them as far down as you want. (But why cut farther than needed to see? That won't be very attractive to cut way down, and their heads could get cold in winter.)

Use any kind of scissor. The feathers will grow back after a molt, and after they have grown back in past the blood feather stage you can trim them again.

8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Try wrapping the bird's body in a towel and hold it's neck steady using your non-dominant hand (kinda like you would hold a broom). A bird's neck is very strong and their trachea is not collapsible like humans. Keep your grip up close to the base of the bird's head. Don't be afraid to hold tightly. I would snip the feathers about 2/3 the way down. Be careful! Good luck. Before and after pics would be fun![​IMG]

9. Rose66

Rose66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Alabama
    Exactly the info I needed. Thanks so much! We're going to trim the crests tomorrow. I love my polish chickens but I want them to be able to see better. I'm hoping that if I trim a few feathers around the bottom of the crest, then they will hold up the longer feathers further up the crest. We'll see. I'll take before and after pictures and post them too. Again, thanks for the help.

10. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    Quote:x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by