help! can I save a hen from Marek's? she's special!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kellygreen, Jan 30, 2013.

1. kellygreen

kellygreen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    I took in a rooster a few months back, he gradually became lame and after reading the forums I had him put down and tested. Came back positive for Marek's. Now my favorite Easter Egger hen is not herself... wanders around with feathers puffed up, seems confused, shows a little interest in food but seems to have trouble eating. She's about 15 months old, and was vaccinated. Not long after I got the rooster, (about 4 or 5 months ago), she got sick - runny nose and eyes, not eating at all - and then she pulled through after I brought her inside for a day.
    ANy advice on how I might help her, or is it a lost cause? She had tons of personality and loved to nap on my lap.

2. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

I'm so sorry, [​IMG] It always seems to be the special ones. I can't help with advice except to suggest you search the site for Mareks. You'll find all the help you need. Good Luck and [​IMG]

3. kellygreen

kellygreen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    Thank you!
    I've been following other postings advice and giving her hypericum 30 twice a day now for two days, but she hasn't changed at all. She mostly just stands in the corner, sometimes sits, dozing off. Or slowly walks around the room. She has her feathers all puffed up all the time now.
    She won't eat anything - should I be forcing her to?
    Any advice always helps!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by