1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Can she still have mareks even tho she was vaccinated?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mycutekitties, Dec 13, 2011.

1. mycutekitties

mycutekitties Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    Our sweet little bantam Cochin is going downhill fast! She is the only bird my youngest has ever bonded with and I don't know what to do. Saturday we went to a youth show and my daughter used her for showmanship. She was totally fine. Next day Sunday I noticed her not moving around her area much. Then yesterday noticed she can't walk. She does not have control of her legs or wings. She is 7 months old and has not started laying. She was given the mareks vaccine at 1 day and last month given the fowl pox vacinne. Help! She is the sweetest bird we own!
    Saturday:
    [​IMG]
    And right now:
    [​IMG]

2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Yes, she can still get Marek's even though she was vaccinated. The vaccine is only 90% effective and only prevents chickens from developing tumors, it does not prevent the paralysis. So sorry that you are having to go through this, it is a nightmare.

3. mycutekitties

mycutekitties Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Modesto, California
    Could she go downhill that fast?

4. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    Yes. I've had some linger for months and some die overnight...even the ones that were vaccinated at the hatchery. All show different signs/symptoms but Marek's is the root cause. I just had a porcelain d'uccle that was running around one night to being paralyzed and dead in 24 hours. He was vaccinated. It is a heartless disease......the only way to be definitive is to have a bird necropsied....

So sorry...

5. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
  6. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    I have tried this...I've been using it for almost a month. I have still lost more than it has helped. I have only had one that showed improvement with using this. I refuse to give up, though so I keep trying. I just lost a black silkie that the hypericum had no effect on...plus two others. I have one OEGB that seems to be improving and another that doesn't seem to be getting worse but no sign of improvement either. The OEGBs were vaccinated. The silkies were not. Good luck with the hypericum. I use it in conjunction with a vitamin regimen that I was given from a top poultry vet....it is .5mls poly vi sol daily plus 400 ius of vitamin E twice daily.

Good luck with you little cochin. I lost my golden laced bantam cochin cockeral to Marek's. One minute he was running around, the next he was droopy and the following afternoon he died. Right after he was eating bread out of my son's hand. I just keep going in hopes that I will have some survive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by