Help!!! Can this chick walk?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BuffOrpington567, May 24, 2019.

1. BuffOrpington567

BuffOrpington567 Songster

Aug 31, 2018
    UK
    One of my chicks hatched under one of the hens and it was being pecked by the hen so I had to take it off her an pop it in incubator. It’s looks fine apart from the legs that are in the shape of images off the net of chicks that can’t walk. Does she look like she might have a walking problem? She’s 4 hours old

Attached Files:

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Poor baby :hugs
    It looks like she's got splay or spraddle leg, you can try hobbling her to see if that helps.
    The neck looks a little twisted too?
    You are in the UK, do you have any Nettex Poultry Nutri-Drops? If do you have any poultry vitamins on hand? I would try to get some vitamin E and B2 into her.
    If nothing is on hand give her a couple of drops of sugar water.

You may have to brood her yourself, so get prepared for that, if she recovers see if Mom will accept her back.
    https://the-chicken-chick.com/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it/

gtaus and DobieLover like this.
  3. BuffOrpington567

BuffOrpington567 Songster

Aug 31, 2018
    UK
    This is her this morning, does she look any better?

Attached Files:

4. gtaus

gtaus Songster

Mar 29, 2019
    Northern Minnesota
    +1. Some good advice there. Very helpful link. Important to note that you must apply these interventions as soon as possible for spraddle leg if you want the chick to have a better chance to survive. Fortunately, I have never had to deal with spraddle leg with the limited number of chicks I have raised, but if you want to save the chick, it is possible, but it will take your time and care to help the chick.

On the more negative side, if you don't have the time to work with the chick, I know some people would just cull this chick and focus on the healthy birds. From what I understand, a chick can survive spraddle leg with proper interventions, but will soon die if left on its own.

5. gtaus

gtaus Songster

Mar 29, 2019
    Northern Minnesota
    Well, her legs are under her and that is a good sign. Does she stand on her own and can she move? If not, please read the link given to you by Wyorp Rock and start those interventions as soon as possible to give the chick a better chance. Hope it turns out well.

6. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    It does look a little better, sometimes it can take them awhile to find their legs. But vitamin deficiencies are not uncommon, they can start during development inside the egg, so I would highly recommend that you supplement those as previously suggested. If corrected early they can go on to have normal lives.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  7. getaclue

getaclue Crossing the Road

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    Give it some Nutri-Drench for the next couple weeks, and hobble it for a few days. Tape, or vet wrap will work. You want enough slack in the center so it can walk, but not enough so the legs splay out.

index.jpg

Wyorp Rock likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: