Help! can you help me iidentify sex and breed - new to this!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mrbrightside, Dec 31, 2013.

1. mrbrightside

mrbrightside New Egg

Dec 31, 2013
    I brought off the internet 6 hatching eggs back in October of which 3 hatched. The eggs I brought were mixed breed so I need some help sexing and identfying the breed.

The first I believe is and has the traits of a Rooster.This picture is taken at 8 weeks old but I am unsure on the breed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next I know is a Silkie and also 8 weeks old, this one is growing much faster than the other chicks and really unsure on the sex:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 3rd I believe is a female just from its behaviour but not 100% sure. I need help with identifying the breed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I apologise for the poor quality of the pictures but any help on these will be greatly appreciated. If you need any further info please ask.

Thanks!
    Gary

2. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Your first barred bird looks like it could be a Cuckoo Marans because the legs look white--Barred Rocks should have yellow legs. I agree, it looks like a cockerel right now, but I've been fooled before, especially when there is only a few or one barred bird in the clutch.

Hard to say on the Silkie (mix?), they're hard to sex and I can't see the crest well enough to even guess.

I suspect the little white pullet is an Old English Game Bantam considering her size next to the Silkie.

Of course they could all be mixes.

3. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    1. I am going to say cuckoo marans (its legs appear to be white in the pictures) and cockerel
    2.Either a silkie or silkie mix (it is hard to tell in the picture) silkies can be very hard to sex, if I had to guess I would say pullet, but sometimes you can't tell until they are 7+months old.
    3. Not sure of breed, but it is a pullet.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    1) rose comb - Dominique?

2) silky cross - not a pure silky

3) ?

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

6. mrbrightside

mrbrightside New Egg

Dec 31, 2013
    Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated. Here are a couple more pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. mrbrightside

mrbrightside New Egg

Dec 31, 2013
    I checked on the listing I brought the hatching eggs from. They were mixed eggs out of the following flock:

black rock, light Sussex, various Orpington and wynadottes. That are running with 5 cockerels which are buff pekin, light Sussex, white silkie, grey leghorn and speckled lady

the black and white chick which I believe to be a roo was pure black when hatched. It has quite a temperament and stands its ground

8. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

What's a "speckled lady?" And I"m also guessing from black rock and Pekin that you are not in the US?

I think your barred bird must be part Grey Leghorn (they're barred right?).

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Bad photos but so far looks like you got lucky ( hen)
    keep us updated as they grow

10. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    there are black rocks in the US, not sure about the pekins though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by