1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help!!Can you use Povidone Iodine on a wound?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jbowyer01, Dec 31, 2008.

1. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Help I have a hen that a rooster has pecked pretty good near her ear and its bloody and dirty. After I clean it with warm water can I put iodine on it to help it (I'm out of neosporine and the closest store is 45 min away) or should I just clean it with warm water? Would any antibiotic ointment work? I have her in the house in a dark quiet room so that she can heal but this is new to me.

2. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Povidone is good. Dilute it with warm water until it's about the strength of weak black tea.

3. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Bearded chick thank you so much!

4. BeardedChick

Sounds like she is in good hands.

You may have already read it here, but just in case - anything with lidocaine type drugs should be avoided as some chickens react very badly to them. For example the neosporin with pain relief is bad. Plain neosporin is fine to use.

Just thought I'd mention it. [​IMG]

5. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Thank you for the info! Can you give me one more opinion? Heres a pic of the injury after I have cleaned it up. There is a small section of tissue (not sure what the correct part of the anatomy is) hanging still. I'm worried that it will become infected or if it heals the other chichens might peck at it. What should I do. This is my DH's chicken and he's a little upset.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It almost looks like a chunk of her ear patch/ face was ripped off and a piece of skin is dangling?

If so, I'd remove that dangling skin and let the face patch heal up. Doesn't really look that bad. Do keep her isolated till it heals though.

7. BeardedChick

If it's part of the red flap and it's just hanging there by a little thread, I'd trim it off with sharp, clean scissors...

8. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Do I just cut it off with sterile scissors? and then apply antibiotic ointment?

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

That's what I'd do. Good luck!

10. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Thanj you all for your responses, I'm running out to my moms and getting some antibiotic ointment. Looks like Cleo will be living a little more comfortably for the next couple of days until shes all healed. You guys are wonderful!!! (Oh yeah the roosters are being rehomed tommorow, they couldnt be nice for one more day?!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by