help candled eggs pics!

chickenboy1993

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
dayton, Virginia
i candled some of my cochin eggs and this is day 8 are they growing or are they dead?
23561_100_0306.jpg

23561_100_0303.jpg

23561_100_0301.jpg

23561_100_0308.jpg

Mark the eggs with a ? mark and put them back in the incubator til day 10. Candle again in a every dark room and see if you see more development. I always candle down into the big end of the egg. I never toss and egg til day 14 to make sure I have not thrown out a good one, unless it has seeped, weeped or a funky smell is coming from the bator.

In the last picture one the top one looks possible and the bottom looks clear (or not developing), but as the previous post says look on day 10 and make a call then. Sometimes it is just very hard to tell from pictures

Want the truth? Really bad pictures and really poor candling light. Every one of those could be viable. What day are they on?

When you candle and photograph you need to make sure there is not leaking light.

What day they're supposed to be on makes a big difference as to what you're looking for.

If you can buy a better light and you're going to do this often, either make a candler or buy a very high lumen led flashlight, like the streamlights. There are several discussions of candlers (build your own) and flashlight quality for candling.

If you need to photograph all by yourself find a way to rest it so the light doesn't leak past the egg or the photo just dims quite a bit and detail is lost. Sometimes fiddling with a photo editor (contrast and brightness and mid level light) can actually bring out details you first can't see with your eyes.

There's a chance all those are a go. If it doesn't leak or stink - keep it going.

Back
Top Bottom