1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP!! Can't seem to hatch chicken eggs ..???? Please Help....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by critters, Mar 25, 2013.

1. critters

critters Chillin' With My Peeps

I have hatched several dozen successful incubated guinea and duck eggs...
    BUT each time I try incubating chicken eggs they seem to die about day 18-20
    and can't figure out what I am doing wrong???
    temp 99.5 humidity @ 63-65%...."still air" little giant incubator...
    I candle my eggs, see growth
    this last batch, as with the others,heard faint pecking day 18/19 (checked different eggs
    at random).... so, any suggestions?? I want to incubate chicken eggs too!

2. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    It sounds as though the humidity needs to be raised. On the last couple days I raise the humidity to around 65% or more (usually more). Also I have heard that when using a still air incubator the temperature needs to be around 102 because of the heat layers. I have always used a fan in mine. I hope this has helped a little and happy hatching!

3. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    Megan is right. Temperature during incubation on a still air should be 102 at the top of the egg. Humidity will vary with your location. How are you measuring humidity? Is it a Hydrometer or a wet bulb thermometer? I think you would be better off having a 50% humidity (hydrometer reading) A wet bulb thermometer would read 85 degrees ( which is equal to 50% humidity)

4. critters

I use a Hydrometer...have another incubator on day 13...is it too late to up the temp to 102
    at this point and have a successful hatch??

thanks for your advice so far [​IMG]

5. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Well, first I would take the temperature at the top of the egg to see what it is. I don't know if you could up the temp for sure, but I think you could if necessary.

6. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    I think your humidity is too high.

7. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    I don't think changing temperature now would hurt anything, but remember that is at the TOP of the egg. Also lowering the humidity is a good idea. How much to lower it becomes a question considering I think it has been to high since the start of your incubation. That could be answered a bit better by knowing what the air cell size is like. Check the air cell diagrams that are shown (somewhere here) to see how yours compare with those. I would think yours would be to small for the number of days into incubation, You would have to adjust your humidity accordingly, my best GUESS would be something around 20% range just to get your eggs to conform to the examples by lockdown. You don't really have a lot of time , but it just may be enough to increase the possibly of a better hatch.

8. critters

thanks for all your help!! keep your fingers crossed for me...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by