Help can't teel if Ameraucana is a roo or hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by schellie69, Nov 3, 2009.

1. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I just got this Ameraucana and I can't tell if its a pullet or Roo, I think it is between 4 to 6 months (maybe) any help would be appreciated. thank you

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If it is a roo I was thinking of breading him to my EE bantams that look like this what kind of chickens would I get and would they be standard or Bantam or is this a bad Idea
    [​IMG]

2. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    It looks like a pullet to me - a 4 month old cockerel would have a much larger comb & pointed sickle feathers by now.

3. schellie69

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Quote:I did not think Ameraucana had a large comb, since they only have a pea comb, and what are sickle feathers..

4. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

Pullet to me too. Sickle feathers are the pretty tail feathers that curve over like.... a sickle. And yes and no on the comb. The pea comb is a smaller comb than say a single comb on a barred rock... but a roo will have more mass to it than a pullet.

5. schellie69

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    well his tail feathers look liked they may have gotten pulled out by another chickens they are very uneven and I think he might be coming out of a molt also I might be off on his age, not really sure. but he is about 1/2 the size of my smallest buff so not sure on the age.

6. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    pullet

7. schellie69

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    [​IMG] i was hoping for a roo wanted to breed to my light colored EE bantams they would have made such cute chicks [​IMG]
    Oh well if she is a pullet then i will be happy to since I will get pretty eggs from her and the quest for a roo continues, any one have any idea what kind of rooster I should get?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  8. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Quote:I did not think Ameraucana had a large comb, since they only have a pea comb, and what are sickle feathers..

They don't have a 'large' comb, but a cockerel's pea comb would still be much larger than your chicken has. AussieHeeler answered your questions well.

9. schellie69

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas

They don't have a 'large' comb, but a cockerel's pea comb would still be much larger than your chicken has. AussieHeeler answered your questions well.

I know that I was just updating the info that I had forgot to put in the 1st post, was hurried due to grand daughter wanting me, I am new to chickens. and I seem to have a lot of questions, trying to understand the difference, I also wanted to make a point that I am unsure on the age, and it was coming out of a molt and the tail feathers looked like they had been pulled out, so was not sure about the tail feathers and was going to wait and few weeks and take a few more pictures and see if there was a difference. I appreciate all the help that everyone gives on this site, and how many different answers each person has due to their own experiences which make this a really good source of information due to have a vast amount of knowledge at your fingetips. and like I said I am a newbie and I did not understand about pea combs, single, double combs ect or sickle feathers. I was just wanting to update the info as I remembered it. and after spending more time with the new chicken I was noticing some other things I missed the first time. I have noticed on post about gender that there are a lot of people who will say pullet while there are others that say roo, just based on what their chickens looked like at their age, so was just going to see how many different answer I got then post what it is when I find out for either by getting an egg or hearing a him crow. just curious what others might think.

10. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's a drawing with the parts of the bird and the feathers labeled for both hens/pullets ad roosters/cockerals. Hens have a only the 'cape' and Roos have 'hackles' and a cape at the neck, and Hens don't have sickles or saddle feathers, well, they have feathers there, but they don't look at all the same. Not all breeds are terribly pronounced on either the feathers OR the comb and wattles, but in time hopefully this will help!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-anatomy.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by