1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Care for Injured Chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SoulShine, Feb 22, 2009.

1. SoulShine

SoulShine New Egg

Jun 18, 2008
    I have 1 month old baby chicks, and something as small as a mouse (b/c where it got into the brooder) killed one and another is injured. She can get up, but is laying kind of crashed over on one side in a weird position and shivering. I've set up a separate brooder for her, but wonder if there's something else I could do for her. She has maybe a small bite with a tiny bit of blood on her back, but nothing else I can see. Any help is greatly appreactiated!

2. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    sounds like maybe a snake---
    she may not make it if it was....
    Keep her warm etc.. add vitamins or Quick-chick to her water...
    mix some raw egg yolk with some plain yogurt for her ... then hope for the best!

Find out how they are getting in and attach hardware cloth over the opening!

3. SoulShine

SoulShine New Egg

Jun 18, 2008
    Thanks for your quick response! I think it was a mouse or rat though. We set a trap on the brooder top and whatever it was came back and sprung it, but got away. It wasn't a snake, though, very few where I live, and it's still snowing here.

4. Mrs.SplashSilkie

Mrs.SplashSilkie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    Orient, Maine
    Sounds like a rat to me. I had trouble with them in the past, and I had to set traps everywhere the hens would'nt get into them. I moved my brooder also, to a place I could keep a ear and eye on it.(My Porch inside). I also had to get new feed holders and it seemed to take care of it.[​IMG]

5. SoulShine

SoulShine New Egg

Jun 18, 2008
    Agreed! The brooder is in the garage under my room, so I can hear them--how I knew to rush down this a.m. She's laying down, under a little blanket, and has stopped shivering. She seems much calmer, but is now laying on her back, and I can't get her to eat or drink.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by