Help ! caring for Baby Llama......Cute Pics added

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickenzoo, Jan 20, 2010.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

This morning my friend called to tell me Sabrina had a baby. A while back we halved the investment on a bred female llama. When she had the baby it would be mine, well I was told she was to have her baby in June, she never looked big, so we thought she was not prego, until today. So I am unprepared... I am going to bring mom and baby to my farm in a couple of days since I am home all the time and can keep an eye on them. Help ! The Cria (sp) is a little boy, black with white socks.... he is nursing well.

What should the mom be fed to help out the baby while nursing?

At what age can the baby be weaned?

What should you start the baby eating once weaned?

What else should I know......

Yes, I do have 2 other llamas and an Alpaca............ but this is the first baby one....

[​IMG]

Pics tonight !
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  2. Bare bottom farm

Bare bottom farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    White Pine
    Good luck I wish I could help, I have only had two full grown male llamas.. but I can't wait to see the photos.. Have you google your questions? I have a llama book some where I will look for it..

3. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Ask on B.Y.H. also! There are some Llama people there.

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    If I had a dollar for every time the title came out of my mouth...

5. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I don't know a whole lot yet, but just make sure he is nursing, you might want to get some starter milk and a little bottle ready, just in case. If its cold where you are, put a blanket coat on him if you think he might be chilled. I have Alpacas and my mentor said the babies start nibbling the hay and stuff within days of birth. Go to backyardherds on here and see if someone on there might help you. I can give you the email of my friend in Missouri for extra tips, if you want. PM me if you do!

6. Bare bottom farm

Bare bottom farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    White Pine
    HI I found my book on diet it just says that ask 10 ppl and get 10 different answers . If you female and cria are under weight make sure they have good protein and carbohydrates from there fiber intake.

On weaning: 5-6 month of age after parturition.

Well I hope this helps. If is from a book by Sandi Burt.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Thank you for your help. I went over there and coated the bellybutton with iodine and he seems to be nursing strong. We are in Northeast Florida so it's not too cold right now, 40's at night or higher right now. i'll update with pics when my hubby gets home.

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Pics added !!!

9. hensplease

hensplease Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    san diego
    you could give them to me [​IMG]

10. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Wow! Look at the legs on that baby! Very cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by