Help!! Cat driving me crazy!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Roosterlover5, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Roosterlover5

Roosterlover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    I have a cat who will be a year in June. Hes a male and was not litter trained when we got him. We tried to teach him and it didn't work. He was going in the first floor but now goes downstairs on the floor outside of the cat box. We have one other older cat who he gets along with fine.
    We put three different litter boxes with three different types of litter in each one. He started to use the box sometime before Christmas,he used it for five days ,all the while we made sure that it was clean and spotless,then he just stopped and wont use it again. Every day he leaves a "present" down there for us and were getting very tired of cleaning it up. Also, he goes pee in the box but wont go poop.

Please help me!!!

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    First question, is he neutered? I have heard that can help with these kinds of issues some.

Barring that, have you tried cat attract cat litter? It's a bit pricy but they put hormones in it to help encourage the cat to use it. Kroger chains usually carry it at the lowest price but petco and Petsmart should have it too.

Also, I have had cats that didn't like covered litter boxes in the past or preferred covered for whatever reasons. So if all of your boxes are covered, try uncovering one and visa versa.

I have had similar issues with my Siamese but she IS potty trained. She just gets emotional and decides that she is going to let you know how she feels by peeing on your blanket, shirt, whatever. Or that she doesn't like that the other cat just used the box she was going to use and now has to find somewhere else... And the latest joy, our Manx has started guarding the boxes from her. I had to lock him downstairs last night because he wouldn't let her out of a box. :/

For a long time we used comfort cat diffusers to mellow her out and they did help, but that's only for emotional / stress issues.

Hope you find something that works soon.

3. Roosterlover5

Feb 8, 2012
    Thank you so much for writing back!

He is neutered. We got it done hoping it would help with the problem. And we have both a covered box and an open one.

I really don't know what to do.

4. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Only other thing I can think of is that there is advise out there to have at least one more box than you have cats. We have three cats and four boxes and that has worked out far better than when we had three boxes.

:/

Unfortunately it sounds like he may have to become an outdoor cat.

Have you watched 'my cat from *ell'? I got some good tips from that show.

5. Roosterlover5

Feb 8, 2012
    thanks for your advice,but I live on a very busy road and have had cats get hit by cars. So I dont want him to be an outdoor cat.

At one point we did have three litter boxes down there but he still would'nt use them:(

I really appreciate your thoughts though! Thank you!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by