1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Cats using chickens dustbath as litter box!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CAjerseychick, Feb 27, 2013.

1. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    The only Pro to this is that my reformed (Yup she no longer kills chickens!) dog who now breaks into the chicken yard to eat their AM mash, has been digging in the dustbath areas instead and rolling around-- I went and got her and realized she was covered in cat poop (am pretty sure she ate most of it I guess thats the Pro)....
    Anyways does anyone have thoughts on this? I am sure this happens.... I can guess that the chickens will probably eat a cat poop if they encounter it (will they? How bad is this?) How do I keep that cats out of their dust bath-- the chickens are semi free range and have the run of our back yard and have dustbaths under our tree ... And our cats are indoor/ outdoor and I was happy to have less kitty litter to clean, but not if their area of choice is the chickens dust bath area .....(the cats are wormed and UTD on their shots)...
    Feedback would be really appreciated...

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    If both chickens and cats are free range, I don't think it is possible to stop it completely. If your cats are wormed I don't see a problem with the chickens eating it. I have only seen mine peck at it only once and a while.

3. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    OK thats kinda what I was thinking, thx...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by