HELP!! Chick are hatching under hen don't know what to do next!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BlessedbyHim, Nov 4, 2013.

1. BlessedbyHim

BlessedbyHim Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2013
    Indiana
    I am very new at this. We have a hen that went broody and the chicks are starting to hatch. We can hear chicks peeping and we can't see anything. we let her stay in her nesting spot. It is totally inclosed, but other hens have access to it too. It is about 50 degrees in the barn if not colder. they just hatched this evening. Should we move her and take the chicks and but them in our brooder or leave them and put a heat lamp on momma and babies. Please help we don't want to lose them….my 7 year old daughter would be crushed!

2. BlessedbyHim

Sep 13, 2013
    Indiana
    Ok we went back out and there are five little chicks and they are so cute!!food and water are ready and momma is keeping them warm. There are about ten more eggs to hatch and we will wait three more days until we move her and the chicks to the brooder. I think this is the best way to do this. Any suggestions??

3. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    She will keep them warm and protect them as best as she can, but if you have other birds that may be aggressive to the chicks after all have hatched and she leaves the nest you may need to seperate them from the rest of the flock. My broodys are very protective and she will run off all who get too close.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  4. BlessedbyHim

Sep 13, 2013
    Indiana
    She is basically in a trough, along the barn wall, where a few hens like to lay. If we move her now and her eggs, will she continue to sit on them in a new spot?

5. Mehjr10

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Hard to say, I moved mine out while she was hatching, but they were in a 5 gallon bucket nest. I just lifted off the supports and put it in a dog kennel. Which is where she raised them until they could no longer fit. I would think they would be good but different birds can be just that. Can you put something around her or the trough the keep the others out?

6. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

She might walk away if she finds herself in an unfamiliar setting, I would suggest if you want to move her dim the lights so she doesn't leave the eggs. Good luck on the hatch!

7. BlessedbyHim

Sep 13, 2013
    Indiana
    we could, but it would take some work. Will she be able to keep the chicks warm enough there without a heat lamp?

8. BlessedbyHim

Sep 13, 2013
    Indiana
    BTW….This is like Christmas morning!! I am thrilled!

9. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

She should be able to keep them warm if they stay under her. Where would you put move them if you wanted to?

10. Mehjr10

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    She will do so and they should be safe this evening. They usually do not get out of the box much the first day or two. Some eggs may take a day or two longer, and when she leaves the nest check the remaining eggs you may have a late one. Once they all hatch then she will be easier to move.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by