1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! Chick attacking others!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nonsuch, May 19, 2011.

1. nonsuch

nonsuch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Poy Sippi, WI
    I just received a shipment of baby Chicks yesterday and one of the biggest Chicks is attacking and pecking violently at anything that comes near her. I think she has already damaged or blinded an eye of one of the smaller ones. I separated the "attack" Chick in a small box (with food and water) and have the box partially under the heat lamp. I tried putting them together again this am and the same thing happened. Has any ever had experience with this behavior? What did you do? Will this eventually stop?

2. nonsuch

Mar 22, 2011
    Poy Sippi, WI
    I forgot to add that the attacker is a Welsumer. She is two days old and has especially gone after Buff Orpington and Salmon Favorelle Chicks - smaller .

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Reading your post makes me think you'll get more response if you post in Raising Baby Chicks thread.
    and [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have not had it happen to me, but what I would do is continue to keep that one separated for a few more days, then try to reintroduce under supervision again.

Repeat if necessary. Being removed from the flock will lower her in the pecking order. From what I have seen in my tiny chicks, aggression is short-lived if you can just nip it in the bud.

5. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Sometimes keeping them separate, away from the others Then, put them in with the group. If it does not stop, I would get rid of it. There are some that are just too aggressive.

6. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    I had the same problem with a welsummer chick. I poured their food on paper towels and put in a disposable aluminum bread pan for them to peck at instead..the pecking on the other chicks stopped. You could try it..give her other things to peck at. If not, separate for a time.

7. nonsuch

Mar 22, 2011
    Poy Sippi, WI
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I will wait until tomorrow and try her again. I hope the little Salmon Favorelle hasn't lost her vision! I just talked to someone who read an article on just this topic. Apparently it used as an excuse the stress of the hatch and shipping and the Agressor seeing the other Chicks as competition for food. The article recommended keeping them warm under a red light/food/water. I'm giving everyone gro-gel plus B plus doing all of that.

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Keep us updated if you wish!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by