Help!!! Chick can't walk!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by alpinefarm, Jan 5, 2009.

1. alpinefarm

alpinefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Western Colorado
    I have an EE chick, hatched 2 days ago, that is unable to walk. When first hatched, it kept its legs up very close to its head. Now it just lays flat on its stomach, with legs underneath. It is very anxious to walk, but just fumbles around, can't seem to get the legs working right. The toes don't have much strength to them and curl/don't spread out normally.
    It is a large chick, lots of long down, very healthy otherwise?
    I have been giving it water/sugar/yolk by hand and it drinks this well. Stools seem normal.

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Does it extend it's legs out in front and try to "crawl"?

If so, I've had several chicks do that but usually within 24 hours they are up and walking. One of them was a big chick and I had to put my finger underneath from behind and hold it up....trying to give it the idea that you have to stand up to be able to walk. [​IMG]

If it's spraddle-legged it will need to have a bandaid splint put on right away. Do a search on the topic "spraddle legs" here on BYC and you'll find lots of topics.

3. alpinefarm

Dec 6, 2008
    Western Colorado
    Thank you!...yes, it does try to "crawl"...!
    I will also research "spraddle legs" as I'm not sure what that is.

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    You have to flatten the curled toes. Take some tape, flatten the toes on it, and wrap it around to make boots. If it's spraddle legged where the legs are too far out to the sides it will also need a band between the legs to hold them together.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Spraddle leg - search here and there are plenty of great posts regarding that, and the toes too. BEST OF LUCK!

6. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    One of my chicks about month ago hatch was like that I thought oh no the poor thing but in couple days it was fine and doing great..hope it is ok for you..

7. alpinefarm

Dec 6, 2008
    Western Colorado
    Quote:Ok, flatten the toes on the tape...then how to wrap the tape without squishing the toes together? Or is it ok to have them tightly together?
    And, yes, the legs are too far out to the side. What do you mean by "a band between the legs"?

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
  10. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    If you use duct tape, use extreme care when removing it because it is gummy enough it may be difficult to pull off little delicate toes without damaging them. Pouring some baby oil on the tape to remove may make it easier. Then you can use waterless antibacterial soap to clean the baby oil off the chick's legs.
    I have found white sports tape to also work well for taping small chick's toes.
    Best wishes [​IMG]
    p.s. Akane and debiraymond: VERY helpful links! Thanks for posting them!

There's also more info that may be helpful on the website linked in my sig line below.

Last edited: May 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by