Help? Chick cut side open *PICS*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by IcarusSomnio, Jul 15, 2010.

1. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    I was catching my smaller chicks today and found that my big black one had a cut on his side! It doesn't seem to have pierced the meat, just the skin. Should I put something on it? Bandage it? Leave it? Sew it up?

How it's sitting currently
    [​IMG]

Actual cut site:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

not sure what else, but flush with water or saline and use neosporin ointment (without pain reliever)... anyone else?!?

3. speakup4kids

speakup4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Yuba City , CA
    First off, do you know what it cut itself on? I would do a complete check of your chick housing and remove all dangerous objects,(protruding nails, screws, boards,etc...) so this won't happen with any more of your chicks. Second, preventing infection here is key. the wound needs to be cleaned and disinfected but not covered. Wet breeds bacteria and invites all kinds of nastiness you don't want. Iodine Tincture is an excellent disinfectant and has the added benefit of disguising the freshness of the wound. I don't think you need to stitch the wound because it is already fairly jagged and the bleeding is stopped. It should close up fairly well but I would continue to disinfect it and watch for infection regularly. As an added precaution adding some antibiotics to the chicks water may not be a bad idea to head off any infection before it takes hold. ** Watch the other chicks carefully around him for a while. If they are pecking the wound you may need to separate him.

If you discover what it cut itself on, it could change things a tiny bit. Good luck!!

4. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    Quote:He got out of the chicken tractor (chicken safe, nothing sharp or ragged to cut itself on, it's new so no nails/wire/etc.) when I pulled out the waterer, and was running with my Welsummers (older cockerels and a pullet). I THINK he may have cut himself on a sharp tree branch, I had to chase them under some bushes.

I'll clean it and leave it open. I brought him inside and put him in his own private little cage the moment I discovered it. He's next to my broody hen and her chicks so he's not completely alone. Gave him food and water as well. It's a wire bottom cage, but he has a place to sleep.

Thanks so much [​IMG] I wasn't quite sure what to do.

5. Hippie Chicks Mom

Hippie Chicks Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Near Old Forge NY
    That's pretty significant opening. Stitches? If affordable? A lot of area to keep clean and dry. Maybe oral antibiotic too?

6. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Chickens are pretty tough. I hope I don't get too much flack for this, but I wouldn't do anything to it except rinse it and put him in a separate cage for a few days. He'll heal himself.

If you really want to, you can get a little super glue and glue the edges together, but it really isn't a bad wound (despite external appearances).

7. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    In my experience, that will close by itself. Flush it out and add some antibiotic cream and you'll be good. Check it everyday though.

8. elaucht

elaucht Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2008
    that should close by itself. had the horse kick a hen last year and ripped off her wing . just kept vaseline on it so no flies got on it. She is fine, just can,t fly anymore. had another that the neighbors dog ripped open , kept her still in a cage for 2 weeks with vaseline on it as well she was fine. Good luck.[​IMG]

9. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Quote:I agree except i would not glue it together, i have seen many skin cuts like this and they heal really fast on their own,

People do not understand that there are good germs also that aid in healing and if you go pouring stuff on them to kill germs you kill them also, i am not saying that it does not need to be done sometimes but in this case i would just rinse it and just keep an eye on it.

Good luck and keep us updated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by