Help - chick - diarrhea--(Update)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by seminolewind, Nov 7, 2011.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I have three 6-week old chicks and one has water stool, like clear water with bits of poo in it. In fact, the crate has a wet floor where she is most of the time. She is active, bright eyed, except for this water/poo, you can't tell her apart from the others-very active,

What could it be? What do I do? They have only been on the patio, never on dirt. There may be an odor OR not involved. Crop is empty.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:If you are feeding them medicated chick starter/grower feed, try switching to unmedicated chick/starter grower. Ensure they are only being fed starter/grower feed; no added vitamins, treats, scratch etc...that could cause the watery diarrhea.

3. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Thanks for answering. You have a good point there. My feed bin has the last of the medicated feed to the left, and the switch-to feed on the right. They are surely mixed in the middle.

That's a possible cause. I'll give them unmedicated tonight and see how it is in the morning. The reason I say it's possible cause now I remember that the medicated , I thought, 3 weeks ago, was giving them loose stool. Forgot about that-and it was why I got a different brand.

I'll let you know. [​IMG]

4. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Update! It's been a week off the medicated feed and onto Purina start and grow. And the diahrrea stopped. Thanks , Dawg for the suggestion. It was the right one!

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Glad to hear the good news! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by