Help! Chick died,could happen again!!

PippyChicken

Songster
10 Years
Jul 2, 2009
AL
There are 10 chicks that are 8 days old,and one died,they had no heat lamp.(sorryy! my apologies..)They are adjusting to there new home in the "fuzzy coop" In there there is 6 orpingtons,1 cochin with 8 babies,and 2 d'uccles.The chick was laying on its side,somewhat cringing,very limp,but still breathing(he's already passed),eyes closed,and kinda opening his mouth and then closing it. I've seen this before and I don't want it to happen to these other chicks.Two were acting funny,really cold,and sleeping ALOT,but now they are acting better because I warmed them up but still slept alor.The others are acting fine because they now have a heat lamp,but I don't want any others to die.Is there any way I can prevent it? Thanks! Any help appreciated!!!!

Yes,but they are never in contact except during the night time when the orps & d'uccles go to sleep and the Mama hen and her babies stay on the opposite side of the room.

Not seeing your set-up, and from what i've read, i would suspect that they are too cold, or that they could have been pecked by an adult bird. Sorry if i'm not clear on how you have them housed. Baby chicks need to be kept warm 24/7 for those first few critical weeks with a dedicated heat lamp, unless they have a mom. They should be kept at about 90 degrees at this point, with enough room to move away from the heat and get to food and water.

Chicks are so fragile at that age that it's hard to recover from things like cold or lack of food and water for any extended time. Is it possible to take a picture of your set-up? How are the other chicks doing?

Sounds like you are risking them too being cold.

I'd say most people with chicks not being raised by a hen would still have them in a brooder with temperature around 90f at that age.

Back
Top Bottom