Help! Chick Died With No Apperant Cause!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CityChick15, Apr 13, 2011.

1. CityChick15

CityChick15 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    A sad day!

I came home from work to find my baby Goldie dead and cold in the bottom of the brooder. There was very little blood around her vent. It looks like the other birds may have picked at her vent and feet after she passed. There was very little in the way of exterior damage.
    I looked under her wings and noticed she had lost all of her down but no feather had grown in.
    IS that normal? She was 5 weeks old and was the most lovely gentle creature..... it breaks my heart!
    She was the same age as the other two Giant Cochins but she was much smaller. Should I be on the look out for something killing my babies? Their brooder is protected in the garage and all of the birds where fine in the morning and when I come home during my lunch break, Goldie was eating and full of energy. Then a few hours later, she was dead [​IMG]

THOUGHTS???

[​IMG]

My Goldie last week.

WHAT SHOULD I DO??

2. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    First Rule of Thumb for keeping chickens.

CHICKENS DIE.

Never forget that Rule and you will go far.

3. CityChick15

CityChick15 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    OHHH WHAT A SAD RULE!!

But thanks for the reminder!

[​IMG]

4. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Very sorry for your loss. I don't know anything about Chochins and am a newbee, but she does look less developed than my BR/EE chicks were at the same age. They do have bald areas under wings, that seem last to feather in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by