HELP! Chick doing the splits & daughter coming home soon!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gabbyscritters, May 5, 2009.

1. gabbyscritters

gabbyscritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    fredonia, wi
    I just picked up my daughters bantam chicks from the post office this morning. Ran them home and set them up in the waiting brooder and headed back to work. I just came home and heard comtented chick chatter, running around eating and drinking. One of her golden polish appears to have splayed legs, he is pretty much doing the splits and is having a hard time getting around. They are on paper toweling laid on top of newspapers. They appeared to all be in good condition and were shipped from Duanne Urch yesterday by express mail.
    What can be done? I did a quick search and read about taping the leg, what good sugestions do you have. My daughter is 8 and sold all her barnyard bantams to buy some "fancy" birds. Help, I know she will notice the little guy as soon as she comes home from school!

2. Gilliagan

Gilliagan Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2009
    Mayerthorpe
    We've used popsicle sticks to brace the legs. It should help him hold weight. Leave them on for a few days. Make sure you are NOT using newspaper or other slippery surface. I use an old wire for a door frame or window and it helps them from slipping.

Too bad, poor little guy. Hope this helps. I am sure others will have a few more ideas.

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Try the band-aid trick for the little splayed-leg baby. That will help immensely. S/he will hobble & complain for a bit but it's what's needed.

Do a serach on spraddle leg to find pics of how to do the band-aid up.

4. Gilliagan

May 4, 2009
    Mayerthorpe
  5. gabbyscritters

gabbyscritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    fredonia, wi
    I found a great site from this list that has pictures of the band aid method. I will have my husband help when he comes home soon.
    I have paper towel over newspapers. I was planning on changing from paper towel to pine bedding in a few days. I saw some posts about paper towles over the pine bedding? Is it ok to put the paper toweling over the newspapers, is this too flat? It is not slippery as if it was directly on the newspaper.

Does the little guy have to be seperated? No one is picking on him yet but he does not look too happy. Thanks

6. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    If you cut the cuff off an old sock, it can work as a chick straight jacket. I fold mine in half, slip the cuff over the head and then unfold it around the chick. Toddler and kid socks work best for little chicks.

7. Gilliagan

May 4, 2009
    Mayerthorpe
    I would get rid of the newspaper altogether but that may just be me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by