HELP! Chick dying in my hand!

EilighsFarm

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 20, 2014
Hello. Recently i ordered chicks from murraymcmurray hatchery. I live in Hawaii. I ordered 26. 2 were D.O.A. Another 2 died right when we got them. Then, 1 died later on and, now another 1 just died in my hand. We have another sick one in the brooder. Is this normal? PLEASE HELP! They were vaccinated so that's not the problem. Please help!

Hello. Recently i ordered chicks from murraymcmurray hatchery. I live in Hawaii. I ordered 26. 2 were D.O.A. Another 2 died right when we got them. Then, 1 died later on and, now another 1 just died in my hand. We have another sick one in the brooder. Is this normal? PLEASE HELP! They were vaccinated so that's not the problem. Please help!
I've now got another sick one
hit.gif

More info is needed. How long have you had them? What were they vaccinated for? What is the temp in the brooder? What are they eating?

#1 I have had them for 2 days now. #2 They were vaccinated for merek's disease and coccidiosis. #3 I have never checked the temperature in the brooder in the batches of chicks I have raised. I keep it at a medium level and then let the chicks decide if its too hot or too cold. If its too cold I will move the light down a bit and wrap their brooder with blankets. If its too hot I will remove some blankets and move the light up a bit more. I know if it's too cold because, the chicks will huddle up together under the light. I know it's too hot if the chicks drop their wings and are spread out a lot.#4 They are eating medicated chick starter feed. Also, the first day I got them I fed them gro-gel over the feed. Hope that helped!

DUDE SAME ISSUE SAME HATCHERY! I lost 3 when I opened the package. Three when I came home from work. Then the next morning 4 or 5 more. Came home from work 3 more dead. ***! I am not a noobie but a noobie ordering them in the mail. I have a heat lamp, sugar water and chick feed. Am I missing something. Mine I chose not to get any of the extra shots or vitamins... They have been very helpful and have offered to replace them all. But I am down to 7 of my order of 27....

By the way I received mine on Monday morning when they came to my Post Office. I think they shipped Thursday. In these cold temps (North East MD) can the cold kill them later from shock?

By the way I received mine on Monday morning when they came to my Post Office. I think they shipped Thursday. In these cold temps (North East MD) can the cold kill them later from shock?

I have no idea if the cold will kill them. You seem to be doing everything right. I'm very upset at the hatchery! Although they did give me my money back for the 8 out of 26 that died. Maybe they could replace them? I doubt it though. Im still trying to figure out why all of the 5 polish I ordered died plus the 2 sultans and 1 no name chick. Wonder why it was only the polish and sultans dying. Glad they offered to re-place your chicks. Sorry you had to go through what I did except, it sounds like it was way worse in your situation.

by the way, the breed that died were barred rocks and new Hampshires. I only ordered two Jersey Black Giants which look exactly like the Barreds so I dont know if any of them died or not.

#1 I have had them for 2 days now. #2 They were vaccinated for merek's disease and coccidiosis. #3 I have never checked the temperature in the brooder in the batches of chicks I have raised. I keep it at a medium level and then let the chicks decide if its too hot or too cold. If its too cold I will move the light down a bit and wrap their brooder with blankets. If its too hot I will remove some blankets and move the light up a bit more. I know if it's too cold because, the chicks will huddle up together under the light. I know it's too hot if the chicks drop their wings and are spread out a lot.#4 They are eating medicated chick starter feed. Also, the first day I got them I fed them gro-gel over the feed. Hope that helped!
When chicks are vaccinated for coccidiosis you should not feed medicated starter. Feeding coccidiostat to vaccinated chicks counteracts the vaccination.

Other then that, since you've had them such a short time, it may be that these have just been some weak chicks that were too stressed or got chilled in shipping. It is common to loose chicks during or right after being shipped. Especially chicks shipped during cold weather. Getting chilled kills chicks fast and even though most hatcheries put a heat pack in the box sometimes it's just not enough in very cold weather. Weak or stressed chicks often just are not strong enough to bounce back.

Edited to add: If you haven't done so already you might add some electrolytes such as Save-A-Chick to their water, or some Nutridrench, to give them a boost.

Last edited:
When chicks are vaccinated for coccidiosis you should not feed medicated starter. Feeding coccidiostat to vaccinated chicks counteracts the vaccination.

Other then that, since you've had them such a short time, it may be that these have just been some weak chicks that were too stressed or got chilled in shipping. It is common to loose chicks during or right after being shipped. Especially chicks shipped during cold weather. Getting chilled kills chicks fast and even though most hatcheries put a heat pack in the box sometimes it's just not enough in very cold weather. Weak or stressed chicks often just are not strong enough to bounce back.

Edited to add: If you haven't done so already you might add some electrolytes such as Save-A-Chick to their water, or some Nutridrench, to give them a boost.

Thankyou!

Back
Top Bottom