HELP! CHICK EMERGENCY!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenpredatorkiller, Feb 27, 2013.

1. chickenpredatorkiller

chickenpredatorkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    South Carolina
    I just got 15 chicks from meyer hatchery and when I opened the box i noticed one chick was in the corner and it looked dead. I noticed it was still breathing so I quickly picked it up. It breathes and has a heartbeat, but it is completely limp and only moves its head a tiny tiny bit every once in a while. I dipped its beak in some water and it drank a little. PLEASE HELP! Is this a heat, disease, food, or water problem? what should I do?

2. chickenpredatorkiller

chickenpredatorkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    South Carolina
    nevermind, it passed away... poor chick

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hey...just saw your two posts - sorry for your chicken. Also sorry no one responded sooner. Hang in there.

4. Reurra

Reurra Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    Sometimes the stress of moving is hard on chicks. Its always good to buy in bulk when that is the case because you might lose a couple in the shipping. Ive read so many posts when this happens. I dont think it would be a disease or sickness problem. Take precautions though, keep things clean and wash your hands before handling them.

Im so sorry you lost your little one. I hope you are able to find joy in raising the others. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by