Help chick got head slammed in door need ideas !!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mysouthernbelle, Jun 22, 2016.

1. mysouthernbelle

mysouthernbelle New Egg

Jan 14, 2016
    I have an 8 week old layer who is a sweetheart she follows us everywhere and while we were feeding one night she followed us into the grain room which has a spring wooden door which is super heavy It came down on her head area I thought she had broken her neck but I don't feel anything weird and she isn't dead she's drinking and pooping eating only a tiny tiny bit when held up to it for the most part she can't walk can stand a little her left side of her head is swollen and seems as though there's a muscle covering half her eye and it is leaking a little the [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]other side is fine but she can't lift her head at all she made it through the 1st night and all of today so far so I'm thinking she has a chance but i don't want her to suffer or if she has brain damage I don't want her to be miserable for the rest of her life but I also don't want to cut her life short if she has a chance Becuase she is one of the friendliest chicks we've had I attached some pictures please let me know if you have any ideas thank you !

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I'm really sorry about the accident, but those things happen with chickens. She could possibly have wry neck from the injury, and most people use vitamin E and selenium (available in Poultry Cell or Poultry Nutri-drench vitamins or you can give poultry vitamins with electrolytes and give a little bit of egg daily for selenium.) She instead could just be too weak to raise her head. Keep her in a dim quiet crate, and feed her some egg, electrolyte water, and her usual feed. If she is not eating a drinking, you can pick her up in a towel 2-3 times a day, and feed her mushy chick feed with water in it. Tube or crop feeding is also a possibility. I hope that she starts to perk up soon. Here are some links to look at:
    http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by