Help! Chick got under deck!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by johnmayersquare, Apr 16, 2008.

1. johnmayersquare

johnmayersquare Let's Talk About Chicks, Man!

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    Our 4 week old chick got under the deck and we can't get her out...........It is almost dark here in Washington, so any ideas on how to coax her out would be GREATLY appreciated![​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

She'll probably get scared and want to go towards light still if you haven't weaned her off of light. Set up a lamp ouside and let her gravatate towards it. Or "coop up" one of her brooder mates near this light and the chick should come out and want to be with it. Just make sure no night preds get to them in this process.

Welcome to the board fellow washingtonian!

3. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Could you sweep her out with a broom or a long stick? I hope you can get her!!

4. johnmayersquare

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    [​IMG] Thanks for the suggestions, but I still can't get her out. I blocked her under there and put a warm lamp/light right by the edge.......I'm afraid that the coyotes or racoons would get her if she came out. I would have more opportunity to get her out in the morning with the other chicks out and about. I did try to put a couple of them in a small basket at the edge of the opening, but no luck. I'll try again tomorrow morning.......hopefully she can make it over the cool night , even though she is only 4 weeks [​IMG] Thanks for all the help......I really appreciate it!

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Update?? Is she OK?

6. johnmayersquare

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    Hey! I went out way early this morning, mainly because I really couldn't sleep with her under there [​IMG] and she was on our rock path on the edge of the deck. I startled her though, and she ran back under...........so..........HOPEFULLY, I'll be able to get her out sometime today......SOMEHOW! ahahha........Thanks so much![​IMG]

7. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    try tossing a handful of cracked corn or birdseed at the opening, that might coax her out

8. johnmayersquare

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    We got her! Yay! She came out for the food we had set there, and my son was sitting there watching and waiting [​IMG] He was so worried about her last night, so I'm glad we were able to get her back in the coop, safe and sound. Thanks for all the help! [​IMG]

9. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Excellent!! [​IMG]

10. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    I bet someone will be buying lattice or some other barrier to put around the deck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by