Help chick has been attacked

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by poulet, Jul 4, 2008.

1. poulet

poulet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    My little peppino has been attacked I think by another chicken, he is 4 weeks old but under developed as he is blind and alot smaller than the others. His neck seems to just be all floppy and I think he is in pain, I would love to save him but think that it is kinder to put him out of his pain. I hate killing anything what is the quickest easiest painless way to kill a chick ? [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Makes me sad, but when I was a kid, I would simply pull it's head off fast. It's very quick and painless for the poor little thing.

3. poulet

poulet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    are you sure it will work ? I don't want to cause unnessary pain., He cannot survive though he can't walk either

4. imran_uh

imran_uh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    Karachi, Pakistan
    take him to the slaughter house. it is the only method which is almost painless.

5. imran_uh

imran_uh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    Karachi, Pakistan
    or ask any muslim to slaught it!

6. Ellie_NY_chick

Ellie_NY_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Finger Lakes, NY
    There was another post on here that said to soak a towel in lighter fluid and cover the chick with it. Apparently lighter fluid contain ether and they just go to sleep. I couldn't behead the chick - I just don't have the stomach for it. Anyway, it worked for the person whp tried it. I will try to find the post for you. Good luck. [​IMG]

7. Ellie_NY_chick

Ellie_NY_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Finger Lakes, NY
  8. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    The lighter fluid thing sounds slow and gruesome to me.

When killing animals, usually what's easiest for you is hardest for them, and vice versa.

Just remove the head with a sharp pull, scissors, or a hatchet. It's over in a fraction of a second.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by