HELP, chick has broken wing!!!

bug263

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 10, 2009
Yesterday while out in the yard our we noticed our labrador had a mouthful of one of our 2 1/2 month old chicks in its mouth. My husband got her to release it, I brought her inside so I could make sure she doesn't get trampled but when I did some inspecting, I noticed her left wing isn't working. I lifted it up a bit and could feel tiny bone like pieces sticking out in the armpit area and it was lightly bleeding, I didn't want to mess with her too much because she was already in shock. Is there anyway to fix her or will she have to stay this way?
hmm.png

Last edited:
There are some threads in thgi BYC link on splinting

https://www.backyardchickens.com/se...:10&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=splint+wing&sa=Search#725

But on a chick that young I'm not sure how to do this. I hope more experienced owners will comment.

Oh and please adjust your title to something like

"Help, chick has broken wing" so that only those with that knowledge will answer...
cool.png

How is your chick now?

If given access, dogs can be one of the worst causes of injury in chicks- especially those bred to carry them.

She's eating and drinking, also walking aroung in her tank (the one we used when they were smaller) she's also chirping, don't know if it's because she's in pain or wants to be around the other chicks? She can't move her wing, when she hops off my finger at an inch above the ground she falls flat out then stands up.

Back
Top Bottom