Help! Chick hasn't absorbed yolk sac, still in shell!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jewellsloan, Mar 17, 2012.

1. jewellsloan

jewellsloan New Egg

Mar 17, 2012
    Hi all,

So my one egg-yet-to-hatch is having problems!

It pipped about 28 hours ago. We realized that it was shrink wrapped a couple of hours ago, after we had to help the one before it out of its shrink wrapped membrane/shell (which went wonderfully & he/she is very healthy). Yes, I imagine the humidity got too low...

Thought this one might not have made it, no sound or movement since the initial pip 28 hours ago. So I picked it up to confirm that it was dead and "Peep peep"!

So I immediately grabbed some very warm water & a Q tip and moistened up the pip site. I carefully pulled back the shell & could see its head, with a large full vein next to it. I wrapped it in a warm moist towel & put it back into the incubator.

I read to wait 2 hours and then try again to see if the yolk & veins have dried up, but the vein is still full and the chick is showing no signs of wanting out.

So now its been about 28 hours, 2 hours after I helped it out, still a fat vein.

I guess I just have to wait?

Do chicks ever not finish their yolk, and why would that happen? Possibly because it dried out?

I am growing grey hairs here & would really appreciate some feedback! Thanks!

2. jewellsloan

jewellsloan New Egg

Mar 17, 2012
    Should I take the shell all the way off to see if the yolk is indeed not absorbed?

3. AnimalLady123

AnimalLady123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    At the computer
    [​IMG]I think you may need to wait a while for it to dry up, And then after that you have to wait 'till it's fluffy to take it out to go to the brooder!! Good Luck!!

4. jewellsloan

jewellsloan New Egg

Mar 17, 2012
    Okay to continue on a conversation with myself :)...

I chipped away a little more at the shell and the vein is definitely going strong so I didn't want to go any further.

Why would he not be absorbing? Its been 29 hours since he pipped.

5. jewellsloan

jewellsloan New Egg

Mar 17, 2012
    That's what I figured..I am probably being over-zealous.

Is it normal for chicks to take this long to hatch? The others took between 12 & 24...

He was definitely a little dry & shrink wrapped however...maybe that just put a dent in his progress?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by