Help- chick hatch assist gone awry..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bocktobery 10, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Bocktobery 10

Bocktobery 10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Hope someone can help me.

First off- a question I need answered soon. The write up on chick hatch assisting said to use bacitracin on the membrane of the egg if you pulled the shell away a bit from the pip. I don't have any bacitracin, but I have a little packet of something called bacitracin zinc ointment USP. Is this okay to use? I think zinc might have some drying out elements to it and I'm afraid to use it. The only other stuff I have is neosporin with pain relief ointment, which the write up says not to use. Anyone know?

Here's what occurred:

I have a broody hen sitting on eggs. Two hatched already this week. She has about five more, though one I'm pretty certain is a dud, but all others have shown signs of growth. Three of these that have not hatched (their due date is today) are from my pullets first eggs- so they are on the small size. I was concerned last night because when I candled them, two of the eggs (the smaller sized ones) were ALL black, no air cell (and they did have air cells of decent size before). I did not know if this meant the chick had died inside or not or if it was just ready to come out. No peeping or rocking observed. Two others have air cells and seem right on target- no pips from them yet though.

This morning, when I checked on the hen and her chicks and eggs, she had moved her chicks off of the nest and was on the other side of the coop (she has a special room just for her and chicks). I figured this meant all the eggs had died and she was no longer interested in sitting. I went over, felt the eggs and they were lukewarm but cold on the outer exposed side. I decided to inspect them and low and behold one had pipped! I was freaking out because it was also cool to the touch. Remembering that this was one of the eggs without an air cell, and the fact that it seemed the mother abandoned the nest, I pulled away a bit of the pipped shell- about maybe 3 to 5 mm. I then saw the beak and heard the the chick peeping. I then (probably stupidly) showed the egg to the mother hen so that she could see and hear that the baby was alive, (I was hoping it would prompt her to get back on the nest) in which her response was a peck at where I pulled away the shell. Well, this resulted in what I think was a bruise to a vein in the membrane. I did not see bleeding outwardly, just that her peck looked like it damaged the vein a bit- a bruise.

She then got back onto the nest and I tucked the egg back under her with the pipped hole up. That's where I left her. I don't plan on pulling any more of the shell away... I did so because I was worried that there was no air for the chick, which was why I pulled a little bit of shell away so that it i could breathe if it was possibly still alive.

I was hoping to put some of this bacitracin on the membrane that is exposed, but all I have is bacitracin zinc ointment. I'm worried to put that on it for fear it will harm the chick in some way.

Can anyone assist me any further in this? I have somewhat blocked the hen from coming out of the egg box (nest) so that she stays, but really I'm at a loss.

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

3. Bocktobery 10

Oct 8, 2010
    Thanks for your reply and the link. When I was referring to the 'write up" that was the link I was talking about. I have already read it, but not sure how my situation fits with what is written on there.

I think at this point I just have to know if Bacitracin Zinc is ok to use. I don't have any straight Bacitracin. I was hoping someone might know.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  5. Bocktobery 10

Oct 8, 2010
    The link says that the zinc has salt in it.. would this be ok? Not sure if this would be alright.

PLUS, I've got bigger problems now. I had put the egg back underneath my hen. Came back two hours later and the bottom shell is pealed off- and cracked all along the top. The membrane is white now, not clear/see through. It has dried. Isn't this bad? The chick is still alive and moving and peeping. My hen seems preoccupied by her chicks and will leave the nest if allowed. I had put a wet paper towel (not soaking wet, but not damp either) under my hen near the egg to try and increase humidity under there.

I don't have an incubator.

What do I do?

Could I hold it and try and keep it warm (and damp) myself for the next 12 hours or so? ???!!! [​IMG]

Should I take the chicks away and put them in a brooder? Or would this disturb my hen? Would I be able to place them back with her once the other eggs have hatched or is there a possibility she may reject them?

6. Bocktobery 10

Oct 8, 2010
    Hi,

The chick hatched. I think maybe it was ready. Just a question though- If there is a little bit of yellow and white stringy stuff at the bottom area is that ok? Or is that the yolk sac unabsorbed as spoken about in the write up (link posted here in post #2) ?

This little one had a tiny bit of yellow with some white stringy stuff attached. The mother hen pulled it off an ate it (and then fed some of it to the other chicks). Is this ok or will it hurt the newly hatched chick? There wasn't any sort of 'bag' of yolk attached. Just a little bit that was whitish yellow and stringy- goop-y though.

Thanks for any replies.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Great news! Yes, I think the stringy yellow/white stuff is probably unabsorbed yolk material or other part of the egg that is stuck to the chick. It will probably dry up and fall off, or be absorbed soon.

8. Bocktobery 10

Oct 8, 2010
    Just an update... This little chick made it. Ended up hatching out of its shell entirely in my hand, actually. Unfortunately she did have a bit of trouble with sitting on her haunches and not being able to properly walk at first, but in time she made it ok.

9. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

That's good to hear! :D :cd

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  10. Bocktobery 10

Oct 8, 2010
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by