HELP!! Chick hatch with vent exposed!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AlmaB, Jul 31, 2013.

1. AlmaB

AlmaB Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2013
    Southern California
    Hi, after owning chickens for a few months now, I decided to give hatching my eggs a try. I ordered French Coper Marans eggs and a Brisea incubator. On day 20th first egg pip, I was very excited so I did as told and left in alone. 24 hrs later there wasn't much progress but 3 other chicks were starting to pip and then a forth one! At that time I decided to check on the first one and sadly the chick was unable to unzip and die. My kids and I were very sad, so with 2 remaining eggs still to hatch we went on the web to read more about helping chicks hatch. One of the remaining eggs pip but after about 6 hrs the chick still had manage to make only a tiny whole on the egg. We made the whole a little bigger and waited 6 more hours, no progress by the chick who was clearly trying to unzip but was not able to. Little by little we made the whole bigger (1/3) of the egg and in about 20 minutes later she kicked herself out of the egg. She looks ok with the exception of something pink ( I think is her vent) clearly out. She hatched around 10 pm last night and we left her in the incubator. She is moving around but the pink thing is still expose. What could I do, if anything to possibly help it?![​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RooRidgeFarm

RooRidgeFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    Hi Alma,
    I sent you a private mssg. Looks like a hernia.

3. AlmaB

AlmaB Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2013
    Southern California
    Just read your message, thank you very much for taking the time to answer me! Fingers crossed she recovers soon!

4. AlmaB

AlmaB Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2013
    Southern California
    [​IMG]
    Here is a better picture. You are right it is not the vent

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by