HELP!! Chick hatched a day early!!

missi7470

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2017
I have 5 eggs that are due to hatch tomorrow and Thursday, well one of them decided they wanted their own birthday and decided to hatch tonight. Chick is almost completely out of the egg and I notice it's ok sac is not fully absorbed! This happened with my last chick and it didn't make it a full week. What do I need to do?? Need help ASAP as I really need to head to bed so I can get up for work at 5am!!!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm scared of loosing another baby!!

Melissa

Yoke sac on this chic is about the size of a quarter! Still breathing this morning, don't have a clue what to do at this point! Have to leave for work in 15 minutes! Praying it's still alive when I get home tonight but I doubt it seriously!

If you don't feel comfortable picking him up,
You can just carefully lay the damp cloth on top of him

Check the chick right before I left and the yolk sac looks bloody and it looks as though the "yolk" has seeped out! Chick was just barely breathing, but would chirp when I talked to it! I'm at work now, so nothing I can do. I pretty much know at this point that it probably won't be alive when I get home! I just pray that the other 4 will hatch without an problems! I hope so, because I'm starting to get discouraged. Not sure what I'm doing wrong! :(:(:(:he:he:he

Thank you dear! I hope and pray all is well with the others. If this one doesn't make it, I'll have my hubby bury it just like he did the last one. I was so hoping when it was hatching and I was watching in amazement that it was coming out of the shell that there was no un-absorbed yolk sac. I wasn't home when the one hatched a couple months ago, my hubby was the one catching all the action. I guess I will find out when I get home!

Well the baby didn't make it, my other 4 eggs has not hatched at this time and it is days 22 and 23. I'm giving them a few more days and then out they go. I'm starting to get discouraged. I don't know what I'm doing wrong! :(:(

Temp changes, humidity changes, or the eggs were just too old before being incubated affect survival.
Do a float test on the remaining eggs. Get a container of warm water, let it settle then gently lower an egg into it. If the egg sinks it's a dud, floats vertically it's a dud, floats at an angle, and it might be alive. If you see it wiggling it's definitely not alive. Dont test it on any eggs that have cracks

Back
Top Bottom