Help! Chick hatched and is a bully!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by love-my-wolves, Jun 12, 2008.

1. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    My first hatchling was "born" around 5am yesterday. Now I have 3 more, but the oldest one is sooo mean to the others. He will go and peck and peck and peck! He hasn't drawn blood yet (thankfuly) but I have seen him pull the feathers. And the other ones cry and cry! Should I move him to the brooder? He would be by himself. I have 2 other eggs in the bator, 1 is zipping and one isn't doing anything yet. Will I mess up the 2 if I move him? Please help! Steph

2. love-my-wolves

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Ok, I had to move him. He pecked at one of the other's eyes, and now that baby won't open it! I hope it'll be ok!!! So, now (Jesse) is in brooder time out!!!! Hope he'll be ok until the others fluff out! Thanks everyone!!! Steph

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

The first one was probably the strongest and most vigorous but will soon learn that pecking at others doesn't pay off in food so will eventually give up. If chicks are under a few days maybe up to a week old, they can't really do any damage to each other given everyone can move on their feet and has fluffed out.

4. love-my-wolves

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Ok, well, I had to move little "Jesse" into his own time out brooder, again!!! The little turd attacked all the other chicks when I put them in the brooder with him!! He has 3 of the 4 bleeding!!!! UGH!!! So, now he is lonely. Too bad. [​IMG] I will try to reintroduce him in a couple days, do you think he will be better then?? Thanks, Steph

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by