HELP...Chick hatched and something doesn't look right?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lambingfamily, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Lambingfamily

Lambingfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    One of our chicks hatched about 6 hrs ago. It looks small and has a bald strip that runs over the head like a part in the hair but it is wider than a part. I noticed what I thought was a pasty bottom so I took it out to have a closer look even though the chick was not completely dry. It looks like a brown crusty wart. Did the area where the umbilical chord was connected not close properly? The chick looks a little weak but seems to be holding its own. Is there anything I can do for it?

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Sometimes they will have a bit more than most in the belly button area. I have had a few like that and they did fine. As for the hair thing, I have no clue. Do you happen to have pics? Perhaps give the baby some vitamins or maybe just a bit of sugar water for a little boost. Good luck with her.

3. Lambingfamily

Lambingfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    I don't have a picture yet and I am pooped from today's events. I will try to post tomorrow. Thanks for the encouraging words![​IMG] We have already lost one hatchling this week. I don't want to make it two.

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Sorry you lost one. [​IMG] It is always heartbreaking. I hope this little one does great for you!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by