HELP!!!! Chick hatched without stomach unzipped!!! # GRAPHIC PICTURES #

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TheChicknShack, Feb 14, 2014.

1. TheChicknShack

TheChicknShack Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2013
    Estelline,South Dakota
    This Rhode Island Red Chick hatched earlier tonight with what appears as if it's stomach was not zipped up. It is moving around and breathing well, but I believe one leg/thigh might also be bad. WHAT SHOULD I DO??? 9 other eggs in incubator are pip'd or hatching and don't want to open if it is not necessary. Hoping someone knows what I should do.

This chick hatched 9 hours after being placed in the hatcher on day 18. (18 days + 9 hours). Temps are a constant 99.3 to 99.6 degrees. Humidity was at 47% - 50% for day 1 to 18. Increased humidity to 67% - 70% for lockdown. I took this pic with my cell because it was such a surprise. I thought I herd peeping, so I looked into the hatcher. I saw the egg pip and the rip open within a few seconds and the chick fell out.

[​IMG]

I took this picture a short while later after getting my camera. Instantly I noticed the blood and what appears to be it's internal parts. Didn't notice the leg until a little while later.( [​IMG] Searched and searched and searched.) Prolapse I am trying to convince myself.

[​IMG]

Second picture is after the chick dried. It's (hopefully) prolapse is still dangling behind it and there is definitely a problem with the chicks hip.

[​IMG]

One other chick has hatched at this time and it appears healthy, although very clumsy.
    Any advise or humane suggestions would be greatly appreciated and Thank You!!!

2. crazyhatch

crazyhatch Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2013
    Un fortunately there isnt much you can do for this chick. I would guess a hot spot in incubator is why it hatched so early. Didnt get into position before coming out. I would say it will die shortly. I usually take them from suffering. After the others hatch out the stronger ones will do the job if you dont. Sorry not much nice about a situation like this. Best of luck

3. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    Early hatching and leg problems can often point toward too-high incubation temperatures. I would recommend calibrating your thermometer, and using multiple thermometers to test against each other.

To me, it looks like part of the yolk sack is hanging out, which will dry up and fall off eventually. But you need to be very careful about infection, keep it clean with antibiotic ointment, etc -- and again, do not open the incubator since you have pips, at risk of shrinkwrapping your other eggs. The color of the yolk sack appears to be dark brown, which might suggest infection? The leg/hip problem only makes things worse for this chick. I think that having both of those problems may be insurmountable for her.

I just spent one week trying to re-rehabilitate a chick who hatched early (day 19) and had leg+feet problems. I believe that I unintentionally caused her more suffering by prolonging her life. Sadly, I think I agree with @crazyhatch that the best thing to do may be to dispatch her humanely (decapitation)... I'm sorry! many more chicks will be hatching soon :)

4. TheChicknShack

TheChicknShack Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2013
    Estelline,South Dakota
    Thank you Farmer Viola and crazyhatch for your input. I greatly appreciate the advise. I figured that the humane thing-to-do was the correct one, but I held up hope that I could somehow save the chick. I do keep a lot of thermometers in the incubator. One from Incubatorwarehouse.com, 4 from Wal-Mart (2 refrigerator and 2 temp/humidity), and 2 from e-bay. Oddly enough, the cheap wal-mart fridge ones have turned out to be the most accurate. (One run -.1 degree and the other +.3 degree). The temp/humidity gauges run +1 and +2 degrees high and 6% high on humidity (salt tested all 3 humidity gauges that I have). The incubatorwarehouse.com thermometer and main humidity gauges are nice as they can be adjusted. I did have a computer dehumidifier in the bator and that may be why I may of had hot-spots.
    Thanks again for your advise.

5. crazyhatch

crazyhatch Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2013
    You are welcome. Im not an expert by no means but ill try to help anytime. Just holler

6. Farmer Viola

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    How is she doing now, did she make it or did you "make the call" so to speak? Any more chicks out? We love chick pics :)

It sounds like you definitely have your bases covered with thermometers, great job on that :) I don't know much about using an electronic dehumidifier, but I have used a bowl of rice in the incubator to reduce humidity before. I also have hatching problems (hot spots) in my still-air incubator which are virtually non-existent in my forced air (making me want to install a fan kit in the still air). I plan to rotate the eggs location around the bator next time, not sure if it will help but just an idea...

7. Doctor Pammie

Doctor Pammie Out Of The Brooder

I am getting ready to incubate my first set of eggs in a few weeks and so I'm on just trying to learn. I saw your post and had to see if you got answers. The pictures are so sad. I am really sorry for that baby. I am not looking forward to those "cruel to be kind" moments, but I know they're coming. I hope the rest of your hatch goes smoothly and that you'll soon be enjoying the other chicks. Hugs!
    Pam

8. Farmer Viola

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    I highly recommend the dry incubation method, there is a link in my signature all about it :)
    and you are welcome to join us in the Hatch a Long thread! soo much good information is always being shared there, a great place for learning [​IMG]
    oops here is the link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/846539/jan-feb-2014-hatch-a-long/3310#post_12835648 hatch a long

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  9. Doctor Pammie

Doctor Pammie Out Of The Brooder

Thank you, Farmer Viola! If all goes well, we will have our eggs and start incubating in late March. I will hop over and get acquainted with the thread!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by